Glad to see Spenser Watkins called up

backdoorslider

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Irvin demoted, apparently.  

I'm not upset about that because he's been awful.  But I'm upset that the Irvin moved was looked at as a key offseason move and we're not even 10% of the way into the season and he's been demoted.  

Thank you. Trying to play catch up. I thought today would be a positive day on here. 

I will say this, Watkins is a tough Hombre, and expect him to pitch his way through 5 and keep us in games. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thank you. Trying to play catch up. I thought today would be a positive day on here. 

I will say this, Watkins is a tough Hombre, and expect him to pitch his way through 5 and keep us in games. 

I agree.  I have a soft spot for Watkins.  

I'm annoyed by the fact that they gifted Irvin a rotation spot when he looked to be the type of guy that would have to fight for a rotation spot in spring training.

In regards to positivity, I dunno.  We took 3/4 from the A's and that's usually a good thing but the A's are so terrible and that series could have easily been 3/4 for them.  Despite the fact that we won three games, it was a struggle to do so against the team that's probably the worst in the majors.  

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Irvin demoted, apparently.  

I'm not upset about that because he's been awful.  But I'm upset that the Irvin moved was looked at as a key offseason move and we're not even 10% of the way into the season and he's been demoted.  

I see it more as a reset opportunity for Irvin than a long term demotion.  We’ll see, but mark me down as expecting him back by the end of the month.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree.  I have a soft spot for Watkins.  

I'm annoyed by the fact that they gifted Irvin a rotation spot when he looked to be the type of guy that would have to fight for a rotation spot in spring training.

In regards to positivity, I dunno.  We took 3/4 from the A's and that's usually a good thing but the A's are so terrible and that series could have easily been 3/4 for them.  Despite the fact that we won three games, it was a struggle to do so against the team that's probably the worst in the majors.  

Irvin pitched very well in ST.  Even if he was penciled in to a rotation spot, he was gifted nothing.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I see it more as a reset opportunity for Irvin than a long term demotion.  We’ll see, but mark me down as expecting him back by the end of the month.

Yeah, probably.  

Either way, it sucks.  I'm assuming they liked Irvin's analytics and peripherals and figured they could do something with him to help him get to the next level.  And it's not working.  

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Irvin pitched very well in ST.  Even if he was penciled in to a rotation spot, he was gifted nothing.

I take ST performances with a grain of salt.  Quite frankly, I don't care if Irvin was pitching well against the Twins non-roster invitees.  

We'll agree to disagree that he was gifted nothing.  IMO, he was gifted a rotation spot.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I take ST performances with a grain of salt.  Quite frankly, I don't care if Irvin was pitching well against the Twins non-roster invitees.  

We'll agree to disagree that he was gifted nothing.  IMO, he was gifted a rotation spot.

Ok.  But by that same logic Gunnar Henderson was gifted a roster spot.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Irvin's going to have to prove himself in Norfolk first. Kremer might be one bad start away from joining him.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

A dude who started 30 games each of the last 2 years is gifted a spot in the rotation?

Just now, Pickles said:

How so?

Gunnar Henderson is viewed as a potential rookie of the year candidate, a potential cornerstone for the franchise, and an overall key piece for us moving forward.   He fared overall pretty well in his call-up last summer and has nothing left to prove against minor league pitching.  Yes, he gets gifted a roster spot.

Cole Irvin didn't debut until he was 25 and is on his third team in 5 years and has a career 4.59 ERA.  The Oakland Athletics, arguably the worst team in the majors, didn't view him as a core member of their organization when they traded him for a minor leaguer.  When he was acquired, it was widely reported that he would have a rotation spot, he wasn't acquired for any other reason.

Those are the differences in the two players as I see them and if you can't understand why I called your claim on Gunnar Henderson's roster spot false equivalency in comparison to Cole Irvin's roster spot then I'm not sure what to tell you.  They couldn't be any more different, therefore I have no issue with Gunnar Henderson being gifted a roster spot and I had a bone to pick with Cole Irvin being gifted a roster spot.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Gunnar Henderson is viewed as a potential rookie of the year candidate, a potential cornerstone for the franchise, and an overall key piece for us moving forward.   He fared overall pretty well in his call-up last summer and has nothing left to prove against minor league pitching.  Yes, he gets gifted a roster spot.

Cole Irvin didn't debut until he was 25 and is on his third team in 5 years and has a career 4.59 ERA.  The Oakland Athletics, arguably the worst team in the majors, didn't view him as a core member of their organization when they traded him for a minor leaguer.  When he was acquired, it was widely reported that he would have a rotation spot, he wasn't acquired for any other reason.

Those are the differences in the two players as I see them and if you can't understand why I called your claim on Gunnar Henderson's roster spot false equivalency in comparison to Cole Irvin's roster spot then I'm not sure what to tell you.  They couldn't be any more different, therefore I have no issue with Gunnar Henderson being gifted a roster spot and I had a bone to pick with Cole Irvin being gifted a roster spot.

Well, so long as you admit they were both gifted a roster spot.  LOL.

I have no desire for a semantic debate.

Gifted or not, it should be noted Irvin pitched well in ST, and his issues did not crop up until the regular season.

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

A dude who started 30 games each of the last 2 years is gifted a spot in the rotation?

I don't care that he started 30 games each of the last two years.  

Here's Roch (organizational mouthpiece) in January saying that he has a chance to start OPENING DAY unless they don't want to throw a lefty in Fenway.  He says they're maybe finally done with the rotation.  It was never a doubt that he was going to have a spot in the rotation.