Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

@baltfan

I'm assuming it's this stretch:  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=gossari01&t=p&year=1980#401-414-sum:pitching_gamelogs

14 games, 20.1 innings pitched, 4 hits, 27 strikeouts, 5 walks, 10 saves.  

Not quite sure why that is necessarily better than Cano.

I will say it's great to enjoy this but relievers can get hot.  Phil Maton of the Astros has a 1.00 ERA with 19K's and a .39 WHIP (6 hits and a walk) in his 18 innings this year.  Maton isn't exactly a historically standout reliever.  I understand that his Baseball Savant page doesn't look like Cano's (it's still pretty impressive) and am not trying to rain on the parade but this does show you can't know for sure.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You do have to wonder how long the glass slipper stays on his foot.   Nobody’s this good.  But, he certainly seems like he’s got the stuff to be an excellent back end reliever.  

It really reminds me of Zach(k) Britton's Cy Young-contending 2016. 

0.54 ERA, 0.836 WHIP, 47 saves. 4.1 WAR as a freaking relief pitcher. 

Just an incredible season. 

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

29 teams could have traded for Cano.  But Elias DID.  Actions speak louder than words.   

And it was Holt's pitching system that got Cano to make the adjustments to turn him into the pitcher  we are watching.  He was not this pitcher when he was was the Twins.

Hmmmm....Yennier Cano might be Chris Holt's Patronus.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You do have to wonder how long the glass slipper stays on his foot.   Nobody’s this good.  But, he certainly seems like he’s got the stuff to be an excellent back end reliever.  

A cautionary tale is Cesar Valdez's performance with the Orioles after a 22-game  stretch 2020-21. Not quite as magnificent as Cano has been, but superb nonetheless and bewildering to hitters in a somewhat similar way in terms of his delivery and part of his pitch repertoire--until he got figured out.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

He worked out of jams frequently that year.  This is so different because Cano is never in trouble and throws so many strikes.  

Whatever happens with Cano, he will have really factored into our good start. It feels like we're playing with house money right now. Hopefully, if he implodes suddenly, we'll have Givens ready to step in, or Perez will suddenly figure it out again. Not gonna worry about it until it happens though. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, and he topped it off with that gutsy and gritty 3 inning performance in the wild card game.

Oh, Wait.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

A cautionary tale is Cesar Valdez's performance with the Orioles after a 22-game  stretch 2020-21. Not quite as magnificent as Cano has been, but superb nonetheless and bewildering to hitters in a somewhat similar way in terms of his delivery and part of his pitch repertoire--until he got figured out.

I think Cano is going to be way tougher to figure out.  He’s throwing a lot harder, and even when batters hit the ball in the strike zone, they can’t get it in the air.  By contrast, once major league hitters realized that most of Valdez’s pitches weren’t strikes, they started laying off anything that didn’t start out waist-high and just crushed him when he did throw there.   

Speaking of Valdez, he was called up by the Angels the other day, but didn’t pitch in a game and then was DFA.   He was lights out in the Dominican Winter League (and has been for several years), and I believe was MVP of the Caribbean World Series this winter, appearing as a starting pitcher.  I won’t be that shocked if he te-emerges in the majors at some point.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He worked out of jams frequently that year.  This is so different because Cano is never in trouble and throws so many strikes.  

“Frequently?”  With an 0.836 WHIP, I’d say not.  

Cano has been great, and this stretch may be better than any stretch Britton had in 2016.  But at the end of the day, doing it for four weeks is not the same as doing it for a year.   I’m very confident Cano’s not getting through a full season completely unscathed.   

15 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Decent point but Valdez also only had one pitch.  This is like if you gave Valdez an elite sinker in addition to the change.  

• Upvote 1

Zack Britton is a better comparison than Valdez. Cano's sinker may be about as good, not quite at Britton's 2016 groundball rate (76.5% vs 80%) but pretty close, more like his 2014 level. Cano's secondary pitch has been a lot more effective than Britton's slider.

The GB% makes me optimistic that even if his command regresses a little, he can still get out of jams by inducing DPs.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Cano is going to be way tougher to figure out.  He’s throwing a lot harder, and even when batters hit the ball in the strike zone, they can’t get it in the air.  By contrast, once major league hitters realized that most of Valdez’s pitches weren’t strikes, they started laying off anything that didn’t start out waist-high and just crushed him when he did throw there.   

Speaking of Valdez, he was called up by the Angels the other day, but didn’t pitch in a game and then was DFA.   He was lights out in the Dominican Winter League (and has been for several years), and I believe was MVP of the Caribbean World Series this winter, appearing as a starting pitcher.  I won’t be that shocked if he te-emerges in the majors at some point.  

Maybe.  But he also is 38 at this point.