Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

Last night Cano had no swings and misses and allowed three balls with an EV over 100 mph.  In the game thread I mentioned his arm angle looked lower.  At a bare minimum it appears his release point was much more inconsistent as well as slightly off.  

5/10 release points - https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-scroll/game?gamePk=718227&player_id=666974#pitch_release

5/14 release points - https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-scroll/game?gamePk=718193&player_id=666974#pitch_release

Last night his spin rate was also increased on both of his sinker and change. This resulted in drops in vertical movement.  His pitch location was also up.   
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=5/13/2023&gamePk=718193&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=playerBreakdown&sportId=1#718193

Cano cannot keep this up. No one could. But hopefully he is able to make an adjustment to get back to where he was. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

Last night Cano had no swings and misses and allowed three balls with an EV over 100 mph.  In the game thread I mentioned his arm angle looked lower.  At a bare minimum it appears his release point was much more inconsistent as well as slightly off.  

5/10 release points - https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-scroll/game?gamePk=718227&player_id=666974#pitch_release

5/14 release points - https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/player-scroll/game?gamePk=718193&player_id=666974#pitch_release

Last night his spin rate was also increased on both of his sinker and change. This resulted in drops in vertical movement.  His pitch location was also up.   
https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=5/13/2023&gamePk=718193&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=playerBreakdown&sportId=1#718193

Cano cannot keep this up. No one could. But hopefully he is able to make an adjustment to get back to where he was. 

I didn’t see his inning, but heard from a friend that he looked very off his game.  Hopefully H & H get right on it.  

On 5/12/2023 at 11:55 AM, Os4days said:

Hey fellas … first post but been an Os fan for 45 years. Grew up with watching Eddie Murray (my favorite player growing up) and obviously Cal. 

Anyway the Cano story is pretty terrific. His movement on his pitches is just amazing. I think it is easy to wanna move him to the closer role but I think we have a great situation w him as the setup guy with Felix remaining as the closer. 

This situation reminds me of Mariano and John Wetteland with the Yankees. I think it was 1996 or 97. Once they got a lead going into the 8th, it was game over. Hopefully we have the same situation this year. 

Oh as great as Rivera was, he only had one pitch that no one could hit. 

Welcome...

His zero walks allowed in 21.2 IP is for me the single most impressive individual stat in the sport right now.

He leads the majors in pitching Win Probability Added.  As of yesterday (I don't think this is up to date for today) he is 8th in major league pitching WAR at 1.9 (Alex Cobb and Eduardo Rodriguez co-leading at 2.4 for context).

1 minute ago, Barnaby Graves said:

His zero walks allowed in 21.2 IP is for me the single most impressive individual stat in the sport right now.

He leads the majors in pitching Win Probability Added.  As of yesterday (I don't think this is up to date for today) he is 8th in major league pitching WAR at 1.9 (Alex Cobb and Eduardo Rodriguez co-leading at 2.4 for context).

That pisses me right the F off.

2 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

+1, the zero walks stat is incredible. I was also going to compare his WAR to Tyler Wells, who is off to an incredible start in his own right. Don't want get too far ahead but this could be one of the great seasons for a relief pitcher we have ever seen, up there with Olson '89 and Britton '16.

Just throwing this out there, but could he be stretched out as a starter next year? 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

+1, the zero walks stat is incredible. I was also going to compare his WAR to Tyler Wells, who is off to an incredible start in his own right. Don't want get too far ahead but this could be one of the great seasons for a relief pitcher we have ever seen, up there with Olson '89 and Britton '16.

Just throwing this out there, but could he be stretched out as a starter next year? 

I don’t think he has the pitch mix/variation to be a starter. And if it ain’t broke…..

Just now, Aristotelian said:

+1, the zero walks stat is incredible. I was also going to compare his WAR to Tyler Wells, who is off to an incredible start in his own right.

Who leads the majors in WHIP (qualified pitchers) if anyone didn't know that.

Yeah well that's a serious need isn't it.  I think that'd be a really ambitious transition.  Like if his success continues and he's "just" a great high-leverage reliever, I'm content to settle for that.  I would hate to overextend him and potentially ruin what could be an incredible pickup for the O's.

I mean it's mid-May long season yada yada.  Let's just be really excited.