Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t think he has the pitch mix/variation to be a starter. And if it ain’t broke…..

I know, I know. Just throwing it out there. But seems too good to be wasted in the bullpen, and has a starter build and has already had success over multiple innings. 

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If you were a hitting coach, what you tell your players facing Cano?

Swing lower than you think you should?  I have no idea lol.  Though to be fair apparently nobody else does either.

His first-strike % is 65.6% against the major league average of I think like 58%.  He's challenging guys that aren't up to it.

20 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

His zero walks allowed in 21.2 IP is for me the single most impressive individual stat in the sport right now.

Koji went 34 innings over 32 consecutive appearances in 2010 without a walk.   Then the season ended, and he went another 3.2 the next year at the start of the year.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Koji went 34 innings over 32 consecutive appearances in 2010 without a walk.   Then the season ended, and he went another 3.2 the next year at the start of the year.  

Good memory.  Uehara is the lifetime major league leader in K/BB among qualifying relievers at 7.33, by the way.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Tonight was the ideal 7th, 8th, and 9th innings of relief coming off a strong start by Bradish. If we can get our starter to get into the sixth inning with a lead, then we should win most of those games with Coulombe, or Cionel or Baker if it’s a bunch of righties, Cano, and then Felix. 

Any talk of deviating from this formula is just stupid. Remember when the Yankees had Mariano and then Wetteland, it was game over by the eight inning. 

46 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If you were a hitting coach, what you tell your players facing Cano?

Don't swing if it starts low. With the amount of vertical drop his pitches have, any pitch with break won't finish in the zone if it starts there. If it turns out to be a fastball and he locates it, then tip the cap.