Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

14 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Wonder if teams are going to stop swinging.  His stuff is so nasty it often ends out of the zone.  The swing & Miss he gets is like nothing I’ve seen.  

I used to say the same thing about Zach Britton in his prime. You couldn't even make contact so why not just hope you get 4 balls before 3 strikes. Swinging at anything just reduced the number of pitches he had to make

13 hours ago, Getz said:

Wow. Even when I looked up those amazing streaks that Britton went on in 2016 in the game thread last night, I never could find a streak where he wasn't even allowing base runners like Cano. This is historic and extraordinarily special.

58 minutes ago, LA2 said:

A cautionary tale is Cesar Valdez's performance with the Orioles after a 22-game  stretch 2020-21. Not quite as magnificent as Cano has been, but superb nonetheless and bewildering to hitters in a somewhat similar way in terms of his delivery and part of his pitch repertoire--until he got figured out.

I thought about that but I think the difference is the velocity and the fact that Cano has two plus-plus pitches and Valdez had a slow trick pitch. Once batters laid of Valdez's filthy little bugs bunny changeup, he had to come in with his low 80s fastball and boom went the dynomite. Cano's sinker has so much movement that when they do swing and hit it, they are killing worms with hard chopping ground balls.  

Right now, it's all about command with Cano. If he can maintain this new found command, i don't see him suddenly turning into a pumpkin. Saying that, no body has ever been this good over a seasons so he's going to have off days. So far he hasn't. 

No one saw this coming. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I used to say the same thing about Zach Britton in his prime. You couldn't even make contact so why not just hope you get 4 balls before 3 strikes. Swinging at anything just reduced the number of pitches he had to make

I think it’s one of those things that’s easy to say but harder to do.  You see a pitch coming that looks like a strike, you want to swing.  It’s hard to resist that even if intellectually you know the pitch may disappear.   

Also, Cano throws more pitches in the strike zone than Britton did.  Per Fangraphs, 42.7% of Canó’s pitches are in the strike zone.  Britton’s career rate is 40.9% and in his big year it was 38.8%.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Correct.  But I’m wondering if they just flat out stop swinging.  It’s pretty clear they have issues identifying the pitch.  He’s throwing the FB for a strike but all his off speed stuff is landing outside of the zone and is getting whiffs

If they stop swinging, he'll just throw his sinker till he gets 2 strikes and then the hitter has to guess whether it's a sinker or changeup.  That's probably not a winning proposition.

His sinker is in the zone more than 70% of the time.

32 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

A nice thread on Cano.  Obvious filthy run on the sinker and change, but interestingly a change up that doesn't drop as much as the sinker

Interesting Twitter thread, but most of it was waaaaay over my head. Kept referring to SSW so I had to look it up (Seam Shifted Wake) and I still have no clue what it is. One take away that I did manage was that it appears Cano’s change-up could be even better if he made an adjustment to give the pitch more vertical drop. Hard to believe he could be even more effective going forward than what we’ve seen so far. 

What Cano is doing is fantastic and he's one of the players that makes the Orioles a lot of fun to watch.  However, all of the spanfinder searches for success in consecutive games seem to contain an IP limit north of 1 IP per game.  The list is completely dominated by 3-out relievers (many closers) if you reduce the IP requirement to 14 IP over 14 games and you find 40 streaks (some overlapping, I believe all with better WHIP) where a pitcher allowed 3 or fewer baserunners and 104 where a pitcher has allowed 4 (Cano has allowed 4):

https://stathead.com/baseball/player-pitching-span-finder.cgi?request=1&order_by_asc=1&order_by=p_h&year_min=1901&span_length=14&ccomp[1]=lt&cval[1]=3&cstat[1]=p_h&ccomp[2]=lt&cval[2]=1&cstat[2]=p_bb&ccomp[4]=gt&cval[4]=17&cstat[4]=p_ip

I don't want to harsh the buzz, but one of the things I dislike about freak-show statistics is the intentional exclusions to reduce group size.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who are most likely to the the O's All-Star reps? 

Adley? Cano?  Mateo?

Adley for sure. 

Cano as long as he's still rolling like this.

Mullins would be my 3rd guess.

I don't think Mateo has a chance, especially since he's come back down to Earth.