The Hays injury watch

wildcard

Last night Hays tweaked his foot at 2nd base.   It was noted by the announcers.   After the game Hyde said it was nothing.   However, I don't believe Hyde or Hays would tell us if Hays was hurt.

I believe Hays plays at an All-Star level when he is healthy.   But he does not play as well when playing through injuries.   

This incident is something to tuck away and see what happens.   I hope its nothing.   Kudos on Hays for his hot start at the plate.  998 OPS through 51 at bats.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Last night Hays tweaked his foot at 2nd base.   It was noted by the announcers.   After the game Hyde said it was nothing.   However, I don't believe Hyde or Hays would tell us if Hays was hurt.

I believe Hays plays at an All-Star level when he is healthy.   But he does not play as well when playing through injuries.   

This incident is something to tuck away and see what happens.   I hope its nothing.   Kudos on Hays for his hot start at the plate.  998 OPS through 51 at bats.

Summoning storm clouds won't prove to be a popular hobby.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When Hyde brought in McKenna to pinch run for O’Hearn, that told me that he did not think Hays was significantly hobbled.  In any event we’ll see if Hays plays today.  

I have a few questions about whether several players will play today.  Hayes might be one, Santander another, and Gunnar another, because I think the DH spot will (and should be used) for Adley, to let McCann preserve Adley for Grayson's start. I see McCann behind the plate within the next 2 games.

Edited by Billy F-Face3
Typos
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

He looked fine when he was running his arse off on Mateo's double.

Actually, he didn't.  He was favoring that foot coming into home plate, very gingerly.  If you can find a replay, you can see it.  I think the announcers mentioned it as well.  

He may have hurt it doing the sprinkler move 🙂  Just kidding, but it looked like we kind of jammed it trying to come to a stop as he approached the bag.....I've done the same thing before running the bases, when I used to be fast, having to pull up and stop.  It hurt for a while, even got a year's worth of a blackish bruised toe-nail from it, and I was in my 50's.  (yes, I was still fast in my 50's....why did you have to go there? 🙂 )

I think he'll be fine.....

....and, watch him go on the 10-dya DL today 😕

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

yes, I was still fast in my 50's....why did you have to go there? 🙂 )

I play softball with a 78-year old who’s still pretty quick.  He was Connecticut high school champ in the 100-yard dash when he was a kid.  At this point, his main way of getting on base is hitting soft infield grounders with some backspin and beating them out.  He’s faster than a lot of the guys out there. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

When Hyde brought in McKenna to pinch run for O’Hearn, that told me that he did not think Hays was significantly hobbled.  In any event we’ll see if Hays plays today.  

While this is partially true, I certainly hesitate to take Hyde or Hays at face value when dealing with injuries to Hays.  He's played a ton the past couple of years when he's been beat up and the injuries have hampered his production.  As I said in the game thread, I love his put me in coach and playing through minor injuries attitude, but it seems pretty clear in the past that he's played when perhaps it would have been better for him to go on the DL or take some time off.  Point being while I was encouraged they left him in the game, in Hays' case I'm not sure that's a definitive answer about his health or the impact it'll have on his game.  

15 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Even before the foot issue yesterday, Hays appears to be a lot slower then he was in the past. And he has not gotten to several balls that an average fielder would reach. 

Well, that’s wrong. Hays is in the 71st percentile for sprint speed this year, up from the last two season. As to the balls he hasn’t gotten to, it hasn’t been due to lack of speed.  He badly misjudged a couple hit over his head in the Boston series, and he let a pop up fall between him and Henderson when the two moscommunicated.  Very poor plays, but not caused by a lack of speed. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, that’s wrong. Hays is in the 71st percentile for sprint speed this year, up from the last two season. As to the balls he hasn’t gotten to, it hasn’t been due to lack of speed.  He badly misjudged a couple hit over his head in the Boston series, and he let a pop up fall between him and Henderson when the two moscommunicated.  Very poor plays, but not caused by a lack of speed. 

Using baseball savant his burst (which was already below avg) is down this year. His route running has also been problematic, but it hasn’t been in the past, so that will probably even out as the year progresses. His reaction time (slightly below avg) is consistent with what it has been in the past.

I’m not sure what you would call burst other then a speed component, but regardless the result is that his jump is now in the 12th percentile. 

Apologies for double post:

Hays' sprint speed this year is 27.6, it was 27.8 last year, and 27.4 the year before. Overall this year though it appears major leaguers are a lot slower or something, as last year he was 226th in MLB and this year he is 68th. Other then small sample size not entirely sure why (but that's why his percentage is up).