Will ERod be a target in July?

Sports Guy

I think it’s almost definite that ERod is traded in July. Detroit won’t be in contention and he can opt out at the end of the year.

As a guy who is left handed and off to a good start, if he can keep this up, he becomes a guy that could be on the Os radar if they need a starter.

• Upvote 1

He could be and I would be interested even with the opt out depending on who else was available and what it would take to get him.

He's almost assured to opt out at the end of the year though, so he pretty much has to be a guy who is viewed as an impending FA. I believe that will significantly lower his trade value.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He could be and I would be interested even with the opt out depending on who else was available and what it would take to get him.

He's almost assured to opt out at the end of the year though, so he pretty much has to be a guy who is viewed as an impending FA. I believe that will significantly lower his trade value.

Correct. Which, to me, helps the Os out too (even though they can beat anyone’s offer)

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s almost definite that ERod is traded in July. Detroit won’t be in contention and he can opt out at the end of the year.

As a guy who is left handed and off to a good start, if he can keep this up, he becomes a guy that could be on the Os radar if they need a starter.

In the AL Central, you could conceivably have a team under .500 win the division. Not likely, and not likely Detroit, but possible.

Interesting idea. I’d be a lot more interested if he didn’t have that opt out. Means will be back around the same time, so there would need to be more than one opening in the rotation. Though it’s not inconceivable to think that Kremer is sent down and maybe Rodriguez to the pen to help limit innings. Of course, there’s a lot of games to be played and injuries are sure to happen. 

He has 3 yrs @$49M ($18M, $16M, $15M) left after this season. If he opts out DET gets no compensation other than saving salary. He has a 10 team no trade agreement, don't know if we are on the list. My question is, if you traded for him now or at ASB, would/could you get the option to negotiate with him prior to the trade? If yes, then you could sweeten to pot with extension options, signing bonus, etc for him to agree NOT TO exercise the opt out. Is that possible?