TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

31 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I never think it's worth the risk of rushing a player. I'd wait until July or August. We are a pretty good team without him.

Good news then because they aren’t rushing him and rushing isn’t even a real thing to begin with.

I'm not concerned about rushing him.

I want to know if he's better than Hays or Santander right now.

Everyone was very confident Stowers would be an upgrade.

(Narrator: He wasn't.)

Now after ten games he's to be jettisoned for the next prospect.

This is not how you develop players.

33 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I never think it's worth the risk of rushing a player. I'd wait until July or August. We are a pretty good team without him.

I see statements like this.  If it's not broke, don't fix it? 

I would argue that if you have a leaky valve somewhere, and a perfectly fine replacement part in hand, you might as well make the repair. 

Just now, Pickles said:

I don’t think anyone was confident that Stowers was better.

What people wanted (and still want and should get) is that stowers gets a chance and takes at bats away from those guys..because they aren’t as good as people make them out to be.

I feel a lot more confident about Cowser being a definite upgrade especially defensively.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Are you advocating for Stowers getting a longer leash and keeping Cowser down?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think anyone was confident that Stowers was better.

What people wanted (and still want and should get) is that stowers gets a chance and takes at bats away from those guys..because they aren’t as good as people make them out to be.

I feel a lot more confident about Cowser being a definite upgrade especially defensively.

But now that Stowers has gotten all of 30 abs, he's to be jettisoned and that's his chance, and now Cowser gets his chance?  Presumably for more than 30 abs?

Again, this is schizophrenic, and not how you develop players.

Edited by Pickles

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Are you advocating for Stowers getting a longer leash and keeping Cowser down?

If you believe what many did about Stowers, that he's a solid corner defender, with 30 HR upside, who can hit both lefties and righties, then yeah, he deserves more than 30 abs.

• Upvote 3

Taylor Walls is a developing, amazing Rays story.     Last year they let him hit .172 for 466 PA, and this year he's playing like an All-Star.

Walls v. Mateo a story to watch if BAL can stay close to the pace TB is setting.

I don't think Cowser or Westburg would do worse than '22 Walls, and that Rays team managed a Top 6 finish despite many other injuries anyway.

Giving earned respect to last few years of Orioles PD, I guess its possible Vavra or Stowers could still grow like that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

If you believe what many did about Stowers, that he's a solid corner defender, with 30 HR upside, who can hit both lefties and righties, then yeah, he deserves more than 30 abs.

So we should concentrate on developing Stowers even if we think we have a guy ready who is a better defender and better overall hitter?

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But now that Stowers has gotten all of 30 abs, he's to be jettisoned and that's his chance, and now Cowser gets his chance?  Presumably for more than 30 abs?

Well yea, those saying we should send down Stowers for Cowser are being over the top.  Cowser should be up to take PT from other vets and we just keep evaluating Stowers.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, RZNJ said:

So we should concentrate on developing Stowers even if we think we have a guy ready who is a better defender and better overall hitter?

So you bury a guy that I was told was fairly low risk to be an everyday above average Of?

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Stowers is striking out in 1/3 of his ABs and isn't really drawing walks.  He needs to work on the holes in his swing, and on cutting his swing down.  

Also, Stowers just doesn't have 30 ABs.  He's been to the plate 131 times in the MLB.  He's got 40+ MLB starts.  That's 1/4th of a season.  Time flies, but unfortunately balls don't fly off Stowers' bat.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well yea, those saying we should send down Stowers for Cowser are being over the top.  Cowser should be to take PT from other vets and we just keep evaluating Stowers.

But those at-bats aren't really available until Hays, Santander, or McKenna start to struggle.  They're all playing well.

So Cowser either takes at-bats from Stowers or he takes them from vets who playing well, and responsible for the 2nd best record in baseball.

There's no rush.  Cowser isn't being hurt by spending more time in AAA.  Stowers deserves a longer leash.  And as long as the vets are playing well, and we are winning, they deserve to keep playing.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Stowers is striking out in 1/3 of his ABs and isn't really drawing walks.  He needs to work on the holes in his swing, and on cutting his swing down.  

Also, Stowers just doesn't have 30 ABs.  He's been to the plate 131 times in the MLB.  He's got 40+ MLB starts.  That's 1/4th of a season.  Time flies, but unfortunately balls don't fly off Stowers' bat.  

And he held his own last year..only to then be sent down and watch his playing time be sporadic this year.