Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

• celery changed the title to Joey Ortiz 2023
1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Is it because he is on the 40 man? Westburg is not? 

He's also arguably a better prospect so I think the 40 man spot definitely leans in his favor if you're choosing between them.

This makes sense. Vavra wasn't off to a great start and with Frazier cooled after a nice start, he and Vavra are a bit redundant on the same roster. Ortiz can slide into SS or 2B depending on who else plays and gives another RHH against a string of LHPs. I would've preferred Westburg given his added AAA experience, but Ortiz is on the 40-man so it makes sense. He's also the better glove. 

Hopefully, this means we see less Frazier (not just against the LHP) who will now slide into a more utility role. Perhaps he gets the ABs Vavra was getting in the OF and he plays more there than 2B for now. 

I hope he stays up for good. It'll be nice to have another righty bat. O's have gotten away with using McCann at DH against LHP, but that's just not going to work long-term.

It just really sucks that Adam Frazier is on this team. Ortiz is going to start his MLB career not getting as much playing time as he deserves because he's blocked.

• Upvote 1

Feel like when you signed Frazier you kinda made Vavra expendable.  Especially if he's not going to hit at all.  Frazier can "play" outfield and second like Vavra.  

I like this move.  Allows him to play second on games they want to DH Gunnar or give Gunnar a break against a tough lefty (Rodriguez).

Don't see Ortiz getting any starts at SS with Mateo there though.