Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Who are you getting for him? Why deal him to deal him? 

Is he done in terms of having a down year because 27 games in he hasn’t hit great? 

He's a FA after next year. We almost certainly aren't resigning him. Eventually you need to move players that aren't in your long term plans. The return isn't as important as getting the guys that ARE in your long term plans on the MLB team and getting at bats. Frazier is the bigger culprit, but we've beaten that horse to death. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They aren’t wasting anything. You can’t hit 12 players a game. They have played 16.6% of the season. 

O’Hearn has hardly played the last 10 days. Vavra is at AAA. 

Hays has been one the best players on the team. We can’t say because some of the vets have played a bunch early on that their rate of play will continue like this. 

I just think things will play themselves out over the course of the year. I’m not telling you or anyone else not to debate who should and shouldn’t play. That’s the fun of being a fan. I’m just saying we haven’t played many games yet and all these options remain. 

They absolutely are wasting things. Playing inferior talent and not playing your best players more often is absolutely a waste.  

3 minutes ago, G54377 said:

He's a FA after next year. We almost certainly aren't resigning him. Eventually you need to move players that aren't in your long term plans. The return isn't as important as getting the guys that ARE in your long term plans on the MLB team and getting at bats. Frazier is the bigger culprit, but we've beaten that horse to death. 

My guess is Elias will listen on all of these guys. 

Having someone who can mash 30 plus HR’s and be a switch hitter is nice to have. I just don’t think you deal anyone unless you think it makes you better. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They absolutely are wasting things. Playing inferior talent and not playing your best players more often is absolutely a waste.  

They are 4th in runs scored and are 18-9 with a SP ERA that is not exactly been solid. I don’t know what to say. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles Hangout:  WE WANT STOWERS WE WANT STOWERS!!!!

Orioles: Fine. *calls up Stowers, sends down Ortiz*

Orioles Hangout: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Makes me miss the days of Keon Broxton, Steve Wilkerson and Dwight Smith Jr. 

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They are 4th in runs scored and are 18-9 with a SP ERA that is not exactly been solid. I don’t know what to say. 

And you think this will continue with this roster against better teams and better pitching?  

How many of those runs are because of Santander, Frazier, OHearn and Vavra?

They are a combined -.1 fWAR. That’s about 250 PA, which is about 25% of the PA so far this year..for the whole team.

You think those guys are part of the solution?

And the OF defense has been atrocious, led by Hays. 

Edited by Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And you think this will continue with this roster against better teams and better pitching?  

How many of those runs are because of Santander, Frazier, OHearn and Vavra?

They are a combined -.1 fWAR. That’s about 250 PA, which is about 25% of the PA so far this year..for the whole team.

You think those guys are part of the solution?

And the OF defense has been atrocious, led by Hays. 

If the key to your roster is depth you can’t pick and choose the ones who aren’t playing as good as the other ones and say hey look here.

Vavra is already at AAA and as I said earlier O’Hearn doesn’t play much. 

Do we ignore Santander’s solid year last year due to a poor start this year? You also assume that the at bats in place of these players is a given to be more productive. Nobody knows that answer. Gunnar hasn’t played great either so far. 

As far as your first part the answer is no. I don’t expect the overall results to last vs better teams. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If the key to your roster is depth you can’t pick and choose the ones who aren’t playing as good as the other ones and say hey look here.

Do we ignore Santander’s solid year last year due to a poor start this year? You also assume that the at bats in place of these players is a given to be more productive. Nobody knows that answer. Gunnar hasn’t played great either so far. 

As far as your first part the answer is no. I don’t expect the overall results to last vs better teams. 

I’m not ignoring Santander. I’m saying he can and should play 4-5 games a week…not everyday. It’s not like I’m saying to DFA him. I’m saying to take at bats away from him and I said the same thing in the offseason. Nothing I’m saying now wasn’t a thought for me during the offseason.

And yea, it’s no guarantee but since Santander is a negative WAR player this year and we have to prospects tearing it up, who also bring more value defensively and on the bases, I think it’s safe to assume we would be a better team.  And that is before we talk about Frazier, who has been terrible for going on 2 full calendar years.

And this is a conversation about roster management in general.  Vavra never should have gotten those at bats to begin with. That’s the whole issue.

And since you admit you don’t expect the same results vs the better teams, why would you not want improvement?

Edited by Sports Guy

It appears I was wrong when I stated here and in other threads that we would see all righties from KC.  I thought they had an all RH rotation but I guess Yarbrough (former Ray P) has recently joined the rotation and we will see him Tuesday.

So we won't be facing 9 righties in the next 10 as I have said.   It will be 8.

My bad.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I wouldn't say to ignore Santander's very good year last year. But I would say that batting he and Mountcastle back to back as protection for Adley and Mullins has not been helping the team. Mullins and Adley have been doing there job getting on base, but then they have often been stranded by unproductive ABs from Santander and Mountcastle. For as many ABs as Mountcastle has, he could have had way more if he stopped getting himself out so consistently swinging at balls. As for Santander, he just hasn't looked like the same guy at all as he was last year.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think you look at his whole body of work.

He's a slightly above average bat that no longer provides plus defense in the outfield.