Monday, May 8: Showdown at the Yard -- Rays come to town, O's try to win 11th straight series opener

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You do know they keep changing how they record pitch velocities right?  You think prime Clemens only threw 95?

I don't recall Mussina being known as an especially hard thrower in his era. He was very, very good though. I would say peak Mussina was as good as Shane but a different kind of pitcher

3 minutes ago, Royle said:

Hard to compare across eras.  But McClanahan finished 6th in the Cy Young voting last year.  Mussina finished 6th or higher in the voting 9 times.

Well to be fair McClanahan is only in his third season, so yes he has a LONG WAY to go to match the career accomplishments of Mussina. Who knows if his career will even last nine years?

I wonder what the people are going to say about the great Moral victory we get tonight when we lose to the Rays?  Some crap about losing to a World Series type team.   Blah blah blah. 

Just win baby.  There are no Moral victories.  

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

No I didn’t know that. I thought guys threw with more gas nowadays. At least it looks faster on TV and in person…lol

I meant the Mountain’s 101 looks faster than anything I remember even Randy Johnson throwing, which I believe he had more velo than Clemens.

They do throw harder, but they've also changed how velocity is measured so they don't throw that much harder.  It's also easier to go max velocity when you know you are going to get pulled after 6 instead of after 8.

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

I wonder what the people are going to say about the great Moral victory we get tonight when we lose to the Rays?  Some crap about losing to a World Series type team.   Blah blah blah. 

Just win baby.  There are no Moral victories.  

I hear you. But when you get beat by great players who have superior talent and are at their best, what can you do?

It’s like getting beat by Aaron Judge. You can be upset at the result but the guys ability is just on another level.