Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not strongly advocating for an Ohtani trade.

But I don't think it would be a sign of desperation if they did, I think it would be the type of bold move that has a decent shot at paying off.  Similar to the Andrew Miller move which I still don't regret in the least.  You don't know what next year will bring.  If you are in position to win a title in a given year you have to at least take a close look at anything that will increase your chances.

I understand what you’re saying and agree. You gotta take your shot. But my personal preference would be to trade away from positional excess on the lower end and keep all the top guys. For example, I’d rather trade Prieto and Beavers for whatever level of return they could get and keep Westburg and Cowser. I think something along the lines of Westburg and Cowser would be the required price for someone like Ohtani. But if it were Prieto and Beavers that were traded and we ended up with someone like Montgomery instead, then I think the difference between what Montgomery + retaining a couple top notch guys and Ohtani - multiple MLB ready top prospects isn’t worth it. 

Just example names, don’t take any of that too serious. 

35 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Would you do Cowser for Ohtani, straight up?

Not saying I necessarily would, but curious what people think. Sounds a bit crazy, at a glance, but let's say they won a Pennant for the first time since 1983. Ohtani cracks like 5 homers in the postseason. Would it be worth it?

Here’s the problem the Angels aren’t making that trade. I’d do it in a second if you’re going to trade a top prospect for a rental make it for the best player in the league.

9 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

I don’t want to kill anybodys dreams but I’d say the odds we trade for Ohtani are less than 1%. Unless, it’s a package that includes a few prospects from our 10-20 range. 

I’m not even thinking about Ohtani I’m hoping to get a bullpen piece and a starter. Josh Hader makes the Orioles bullpen absolutely lethal in the playoffs.

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m not even thinking about Ohtani I’m hoping to get a bullpen piece and a starter. Josh Hader makes the Orioles bullpen absolutely lethal in the playoffs.

I’d love an Andrew Miller type bullpen addition. And I expect Elias to make a move 

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

I understand what you’re saying and agree. You gotta take your shot. But my personal preference would be to trade away from positional excess on the lower end and keep all the top guys. For example, I’d rather trade Prieto and Beavers for whatever level of return they could get and keep Westburg and Cowser. I think something along the lines of Westburg and Cowser would be the required price for someone like Ohtani. But if it were Prieto and Beavers that were traded and we ended up with someone like Montgomery instead, then I think the difference between what Montgomery + retaining a couple top notch guys and Ohtani - multiple MLB ready top prospects isn’t worth it. 

Just example names, don’t take any of that too serious. 

Of course I don’t have access to a crystal ball, but I don’t think that the Angels are going to get a Westburg and Cowser package for 2 months of Ohtani.

Out of the teams that could give them something like that, who would be incentivized to do that? I can’t see the Dodgers, Orioles, Diamondbacks, Rays, Reds or Guardians (teams with the best minor systems) doing anything thing like that. 

Only the Dodgers have the financial infrastructure/willingness to spend to absorb such a blow for a short term gamble. And they do not traditional manage their assets in such a haphazard way. The Dodgers really value prospects and development like a small budget team (don’t forget where Friedman came from).

I just don’t see any of the aforementioned teams being willing to trade 2 top 50 (one top 20) prospect for 2 months of a player, even one as amazing as Ohtani. The value is not there.

Plus if the Dodgers really want to get in on trying to acquire Ohtani, they can do so this offseason without giving up any of their young assets/prospects. 

It honestly looks like the Angels wait too long if they want that kind of return.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

You don’t like players to make money that their talents and the marketplace says they’ve earned in a supply and demand capitalistic country? I’m sure you already know this, but the money not paid to players goes to the even much more rich owners. Would you rather that they get more billions?

Where did that garbage come from?  I know what kind of team I like.  I'm not going to engage in political economics here.  I said I like home grown teams. You can twist in anyway you choose.

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Where did that garbage come from?  I know what kind of team I like.  I'm not going to engage in political economics here.  I said I like home grown teams. You can twist in anyway you choose.

You can fan and have any kind of preference that you want to. I just asked a question. If a simple question elicits that kind of response from you, let’s just agree to move on.

3 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Dodgers have the talent to make it happen IMO. Cartaya (C), Busch (2B/OF), Rushing (C), Pages (C), Sheehan (RHP),  Pepiot (RHP), and Frasso (RHP) are all top 100 prospects. They also have guys like Vargas (1B/3B/2B) and Lux who are still young (prospectish) and have some shine, even though they haven't broken out yet at the MLB level.  

The Angels only have three prospects in the top 100, and two of them are catchers.  So I'd say something like Bush, Pepiot, and Frasso for Ohtani and Drury (salary dump) might be enough to get it done. And then the Dodgers can sign him to a long term deal as part of the trade. 

Why do that when they only have to wait 2 months to sign him and retain their prospects? 

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

What comp pick does LAA receive if they don't trade Ohtani and he signs elsewhere?

Player signs contract worth $50 million or less: Draft pick after competitive balance round B (before the third round).

Player signs contract worth more than $50 million: Draft pick after first round.

Former team pays competitive balance tax: Draft pick after fourth round regardless of contract size.

Angrls were not paying competitive bakance tax team so they would get comp pick after first round 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

You can fan and have any kind of preference that you want to. I just asked a question. If a simple question elicits that kind of response from you, let’s just agree to move on.

No you asked a political question.  I won't engage in politics on a fan board.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because they'd like to win a title this year and trading for Ohtani would increase the chances of that happening.

I’d argue the Orioles goal isn’t to win a championship (see last year’s trade deadline) but to just be competitive every year. Zero chance Orioles sign him (we have locked up ZERO players so far) so not sure what would be worth sending them. I’d give them Hall/Irvin/Akin/Vavra type guys, but they wouldn’t do that is my guess. 

2 minutes ago, AdleysPecks said:

I’d argue the Orioles goal isn’t to win a championship (see last year’s trade deadline) but to just be competitive every year. Zero chance Orioles sign him (we have locked up ZERO players so far) so not sure what would be worth sending them. I’d give them Hall/Irvin/Akin/Vavra type guys, but they wouldn’t do that is my guess. 

They in this case is the Dodgers.

52 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

First let me say I am not really advocating for an Ohtani move.

But I disagree with your assessment (or Fangraph’s assessment) of the Dodgers and Rays rosters. I believe that we are better than the Dodgers now. Of course they have the better starting pitching, but IMO our offense is better than their’s and they don’t have a back of the bullpen better than ours. As far as the Rays go, if McClanahan is out for the season or even a long period of time, and we were to acquire a player like Ohtani IMO we would absolutely be better than them and most likely surpass them in the standings.

I believe that Ohtani would make us favorites to reach the World Series. Now beating ATL (even with him) that’s another story.

Last series we out scored them 15-12.  Why wouldn’t  we be able to beat them?  Seems we match up pretty well.  We have had a talent infusion since.  I like our chances.