Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, Fan4Life said:

I suppose it depends on the supply to understand the demand. How many clubs can even make a realistic pitch?

It's a short list. Basically the fiscally irresponsible teams that are in contention. It would be absolutely hysterical if the Mets or Padres traded for him, because I really don't think either team is a contender. 

Honestly, the team that should trade for Ohtani is the Guardians. They desperately need offense and are only 4 games back in the Central. They could headline the deal with Allen, Bibee, or Williams and have Ohtani take whoever they trade's spot in the rotation. And then pay the Angel's to take on the remaining year of J.Bell's contract (they need a 1B). 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

How does this make sense? As a reliever he would be pitching more frequently than as a starter.

I was thinking fewer innings....the high leverage ones.   Just trying to think outside the box.  It helps our lineup and our bullpen.  I guess it's a pretty bad idea, huh?

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

It's a short list. Basically the fiscally irresponsible teams that are in contention. It would be absolutely hysterical if the Mets or Padres traded for him, because I really don't think either team is a contender. 

Honestly, the team that should trade for Ohtani is the Guardians. They desperately need offense and are only 4 games back in the Central. They could headline the deal with Allen, Bibee, or Williams and have Ohtani take whoever they trade's spot in the rotation. And then pay the Angel's to take on the remaining year of J.Bell's contract (they need a 1B). 

I think it's funny you cite fiscally irresponsible teams.

I think Ohtani will likely pay for himself in increased revenue for the club that trades for him.  He's owed 12M or so?

I also think it's the Rangers.

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Then why post multiple times in a thread that is worthless?  What's the point of coming into threads to essentially attempt to belittle others for wanting to discuss a topic that they feel is worthy of their time?  It's trolling.

I'm not sure where this is coming from. Sure I've stated my opinion/thoughts, but I certainly haven't belittled anyone. And why have I commented? Because I strongly disagree with what some folks are suggesting. 

I'm not sure where this is coming from. Sure I've stated my opinion/thoughts, but I certainly haven't belittled anyone. And why have I commented? Because I strongly disagree with what some folks are suggesting. 

Telling folks that this is a worthless thread attempts to belittle the thread itself... and the posters therein for discussing it.  That's where it's coming from, But I can see this is getting me nowhere.  So, I'm done.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think Ohtani will likely pay for himself in increased revenue for the club that trades for him.  He's owed 12M or so?

I believe someone else pointed out earlier that MLB has revenue sharing. I'm not sure that two months of Ohtani is going to equate to the financial boom that you think it will.  

I believe someone else pointed out earlier that MLB has revenue sharing. I'm not sure that two months of Ohtani is going to equate to the financial boom that you think it will.  

Attendance, merchandising, and advertising.

12M really isn't a ton.

Maybe MASN could get some new commercials! 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I want to see the Yankees or Red Sox overpay for Ohtani only to get bounced in the wildcard round or not even make the playoffs with Ohtani signing with a west coast team in free agency.

My first choice is the Orioles get Ohtani, but I just don't see it happening unless the Angels do take an offer that doesn't include the likes of Holliday, Cowser or Kjerstad.

Neither the Red Sox nor Yankees have the prospect capital or many desirable cost-controlled young assets. I would be VERY surprised if they are factors at all in Ohtani's destination. Furthermore, the are not likely factors as it relates to our destiny in 2023. They are tied for last place. They are simply not that relevant right now.

I think it is very possible that an Ohtani package won't/doesn't have to include the level of prospects that you mentioned. Of the serious buyers/teams interested in his services (you the teams with the kind of org talent to possess said assets) if the Dodgers are out (as it has been reported that the Angels don't want to send him to them) who do you envision paying that price? The O's? D-backs? Reds? Rays?

None of those orgs are going to surrender their top shelf guys for Ohtani. No matter which org the Angels chose from, it is very probably that given the 2-month nature of the acquisition, they are going to have to chose from the middle shelf.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have to say now that I see it in print.. I agree. It will be the Rangers. They already were going to be an uphill climb for us.. that wouldn't help us at all.. ha! 

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Telling folks that this is a worthless thread attempts to belittle the thread itself... and the posters therein for discussing it.  That's where it's coming from, But I can see this is getting me nowhere.  So, I'm done.

I think the line is so far from what the Angels would accept that this topic/thread probably shouldn't even exist. 

Above is what I said (word for word). I honestly don't know or understand what upset you so much. The point I was making is that the Angels would expect A LOT more in return than what was being suggested, which tied back into my personal stance about not wanting to mortgage the future. 

1 minute ago, Fan4Life said:

I have to say now that I see it in print.. I agree. It will be the Rangers. They already were going to be an uphill climb for us.. that wouldn't help us at all.. ha! 

By Rangers I mean if he's traded.

I think he won't be as the owner will get involved.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Malike said:

I wouldn't go after Ohtani period. I think it's foolish to give up hundreds of millions of dollars of future value for a rental. I would target controllable assets and Ohtani guarantees us nothing. Now, I said yes to Norby and Beavers because I thought that was what you are proposing but I'm not sending top prospects for a 2 month rental.

If you combine all of the wage earnings of or even the projected WAR value to salary of ALL of the guys that we would likely have to give up for a 2-month rental (even one as incredible as Ohtani) I do not see where you come up with "hundreds of millions of dollars".

Norby, Ortiz, Westburg, Beavers, Hall, Mountcastle, Urias, Povich - I see no hundred million dollar ballplayers in the lot. I struggle to see their combined career contributions to equal close to "hundreds of millions of dollars" (though I don't think we are doing an 8-for-1 obviously).

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Neither the Red Sox nor Yankees have the prospect capital or many desirable cost-controlled young assets. I would be VERY surprised if they are factors at all in Ohtani's destination. Furthermore, the are not likely factors as it relates to our destiny in 2023. They are tied for last place. They are simply not that relevant right now.

Thoughts like this are short sighted.  Literally everyone in the East is alive.  The good news is that being in first place means the Orioles control their destiny.

Today.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

The Angels will want at least 2 players to add to their core to build around for the future, and I don't think that is a Norby type, or even Ortiz considering they have Neto for many years to come, and he's the real deal.  Some of the names being thrown around as guys they can't have, are the type of guys they want.  Other names that "we Hangouters" want them to take will not get a deal done.  If I'm them, I want quality before quantity.....and ideally, Quality AND Quantity.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I seriously don't see them getting more than 2/3 top 100 prospects from any suitor. Reds/D-Backs/Rays/O's won't do that. If the Rangers and Dodgers are out (as teams that the Angels don't want to send him to) who else is going to surrender this great prospect package?