Ben Verlander: Os on cusp of dynasty…if they buy in

Sports Guy

I agree with what he said with one exception. Do not know if we will need the bat depending on how Holliday, Cowser, Westburg, Kjerstad, and Bassalo progress. I think the biggest decisions will be the 40 man roster and cutting bait with current players. 

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I agree with what he said with one exception. Do not know if we will need the bat depending on how Holliday, Cowser, Westburg, Kjerstad, and Bassalo progress. I think the biggest decisions will be the 40 man roster and cutting bait with current players. 

I disagree. I think we need a bat. You are going to have to trade some of those prospects and you can’t rely solely on prospects.

Now, I wanted Abreu in the offseason (although I wouldn’t have beaten what Houston ended up giving him Vs what we likely would have had to pay)and he has been awful so far. 

The preference would be that we get a younger but established bat than Abreu but someone with his pedigree would be good imo.

Edited by Sports Guy

It cracks me up when the hot take is doing the opposite of what they've done to achieve success.  Not that I disagree with all or some of what he is saying, it's just funny to me.   "Look at this team with the second-best record in baseball.  they have no chance at winning unless they make some wholesale changes immediately.'' 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I disagree. I think we need a bat. You are going to have to trade some of those prospects and you can’t rely solely on prospects.

Now, I wanted Abreu in the offseason (although I wouldn’t have beaten what Houston ended up giving him Vs what we likely would have had to pay)and he has been awful so far. 

The preference would be that we get a younger but established bat than Abreu but someone with his pedigree would be good imo.

Is there a position you'd target specifically?   The system is deep with infielders (except 1B).  

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

13 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Is there a position you'd target specifically?   The system is deep with infielders (except 1B).  

Well, I’m not sure that lasts with Kjerstad and/or Mayo.

CF is the position that sticks out to me the most although we will see with Fabian.

I would say somewhere in the OF is the likeliest answer.

5 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I read that as Elias made a wise decision.

But Tony’s points about sustaining and building are valid.  I do think the answers Elias comes to will look somewhat different than what we’ll come up with mostly because he’s asking different types of questions at the granular level.  Hernaiz for Irvin, Lopez for Povich/Cano (in a playoff chase), Mancini for a touted SP recovering from TJ, Lyles/Gibson for the OPACY and IP, Frazier instead of Abreu/MOO…. We see warts, he sees some type of team metric like Neo in the Matrix.

20 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It cracks me up when the hot take is doing the opposite of what they've done to achieve success.  Not that I disagree with all or some of what he is saying, it's just funny to me.   "Look at this team with the second-best record in baseball.  they have no chance at winning unless they make some wholesale changes immediately.'' 

That’s not even remotely what he said

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I read that as Elias made a wise decision.

But Tony’s points about sustaining and building are valid.  I do think the answers Elias comes to will look somewhat different than what we’ll come up with mostly because he’s asking different types of questions at the granular level.  Hernaiz for Irvin, Lopez for Povich/Cano (in a playoff chase), Mancini for a touted SP recovering from TJ, Lyles/Gibson for the OPACY and IP, Frazier instead of Abreu/MOO…. We see warts, he sees some type of team metric like Neo in the Matrix.

Maybe I'm making this up, but I could have sworn I read that Sig was very against the Verlander trade and some of the other big signings.  They thought the development system could create the perfect player and wanted to do everything internally.  I own a construction company and kind of liken the thought to using sub-contractors vs. employees.  I loath sub-contractors because they were not trained by us, do not know our system, and do not perform at the high standard we demand.  I do think they will make a trade at some point, but I'm not sure it's going to be any crazy blockbuster (fingrers crossed for Burnes).  I think they truly believe they can do this entire thing in house.  Is that the right approach?  I dunno.  Not sure I have an opinion on it either.  I am, however, incredibly curious to see how it plays out.  I just find it comical they are doing things differently than the industry standard, having success, and people are telling them they are doing it wrong and screwing everything up along the way.  

John Angelos is riding this gravy train til the appropriate time to sell. I have no doubt that there will always be an excuse why the Orioles can’t spend on free agents or extensions. He’s already basically ruled out a Rutschman extension, so the key is to win during the window that he’s here. Without a significant payroll increase we’ll be looking at a perennial wild card chaser…which is satisfactory considering where the team has been in recent history. I’d rather see this “dynasty” idea come into fruition but let’s face it, John is solely running the O’s to maximize profit, which is his right. He’s hired the right guy to do it and has already painted the organization as a bottom tier market when he compared the team to the Rays and Pirates. Luckily Elias is on board or I’d feel rather hopeless.