You can't clip these wings - City Connect jerseys

Snutchy

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The flag is the coat of arms of the person the city is named after.  So there is a connection.

Only the checkerbaord portion is the Baltimore colors. the red and white Crossland banner is the was the coat of Calvert's Mother's family. The original flag was this seal on a blue field - think your run of the mill state flag. Upon the outbreak of the civil war, Union supporters began to recognize the "Baltimore colors" as their banner and confederate traitors adopted the red and white crossland banner to ID themselves (as red was considered rebel colors). That distinction and adoption was largely arbitrary. And Union soldiers from MD out numbered Confederate soldiers by at least 3 to 1 - its connection to the south is some deep cut confederate stuff. 

The current flag was adopted at the turn of the 20th to symbolize the "two sides, coming together." then in the 30s pro-confederate screed "Maryland, my Maryland" was adopted as the state song. But since then any recognizeable ocnnection to the CSA has largely been forgotten by the general public. 

But if you see anyone in MD flying a crossland banner - and nothing else. That is some deep cut racist nonsense. 

Edited by SilentJames

7 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Only the checkerbaord portion is the Baltimore colors. the red and white Crossland banner is the was the coat of Calvert's Mother's family. The original flag was this seal on a blue field - think your run of the mill state flag. Upon the outbreak of the civil war, Union supporters began to recognize the "Baltimore colors" as their banner and confederate traitors adopted the red and white crossland banner to ID themselves (as red was considered rebel colors). That distinction and adoption was largely arbitrary. And Union soldiers from MD out numbered Confederate soldiers by at least 3 to 1 - its connection to the south is some deep cut confederate shit. 

The current flag was adopted at the turn of the 20th to symbolize the "two sides, coming together." then in the 30s pro-confederate screed "Maryland, my Maryland" was adopted as the state song. But since then any recognizeable ocnnection to the CSA has largely been forgotten by the general public. 

But if you see anyone in MD flying a crossland banner - and nothing else. That is some deep cut racist nonsense. 

From Wiki...so it's from Wiki...

The flag of the state of Maryland is the 17th-century heraldic banner of arms of Cecil, 2nd Baron Baltimore. It consists of the arms of his father George, 1st Baron Baltimore (1579–1632), quartered with those of his grandmother, heiress of the Crossland family. The flag was officially adopted by the General Assembly of Maryland (state legislature) in 1904.

So if that isn't accurate, OK.  It's been 40 years since I studied the flag.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From Wiki...so it's from Wiki...

So if that isn't accurate, OK.  It's been 40 years since I studied the flag.

nah its fine. I wasn't coming for you or anything, my AP history kids are working on final assignments and I was in history mode. 

4 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

nah its fine. I wasn't coming for you or anything, my AP history kids are working on final assignments and I was in history mode. 

Shouldn't the AP tests be over by now?  I recall them not being this late way back when I took them.

You aren't actually making them do stuff after the exam are you?  It was movie time for us back in the day.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shouldn't the AP tests be over by now?  I recall them not being this late way back when I took them.

You aren't actually making them do stuff after the exam are you?  It was movie time for us back in the day.

The last two weeks have been: Monday: assignment posted, its due Friday. 

This weeks assignment is making history themed memes/ tik toks. 

we're basically chilling. 

My honors class is finishing up their outside literature/ historiography assignments this week. Next week is review for finals. AP has no final because they took the test.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Which one do you teach? (And where, I’m being nosy)

10 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

My question is this: Did Fidel wrote the poem that led to "You can't clip these wings" or did the PR team come up with that and then they got Fidel to write around it. 

Honestly, it matters with regard to my interpretation of that. 

From what it seems, it looks like Nike came up with the slogan and they had him write around it.  At least, that's my interpretation from this article:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37704283/baltimore-orioles-city-connect-uniforms

The uniform also features the slogan "You Can't Clip These Wings" -- a melody created by Baltimore-based poet and author Kondwani Fidel meant to embody the city's perseverance. To coincide with the uniform reveal, Fidel wrote a poem with the uniform's slogan.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

From what it seems, it looks like Nike came up with the slogan and they had him write around it.  At least, that's my interpretation from this article:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37704283/baltimore-orioles-city-connect-uniforms

The uniform also features the slogan "You Can't Clip These Wings" -- a melody created by Baltimore-based poet and author Kondwani Fidel meant to embody the city's perseverance. To coincide with the uniform reveal, Fidel wrote a poem with the uniform's slogan.

Oh wait - that was a line from Fidel's "The Origin," that he performed before opening day a couple years ago. Okay no I like this better then. It feels a bit corny stripped of the context of Fidel's original work. 

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I do like the hat..the jersey is plain and incredibly underwhelming.

I wouldn't mind the hat as an alternate away hat if the B were orange. Like a Friday night away hat to offset the O's hat at home.

• Upvote 2

I dig it - definitely did not at first but they look good n. More to the BALTIMORE than I thought (and my sister went to MICA so, cool). Love script B on the sleeve and hat.

They have Charm City Ts in the team store - they are dope and I bought a couple. I’m ok with that not being here.

Same with the maps - plenty of other options to get the flag.

I’ve had a love/hate for years with the different Navy football uniforms for the A/N game so I guess I’m also conditioned to not having to love all of it to appreciate the effort.

100% concur on hoping the add an orange script B hat to the repertoire at some point.