Gunnar is starting to stir.

Roy Firestone

The Yankee series was a huge lift for this kid...a big HR and the next night a huge double...you can see his confidence building...he can be a dangerous hitter for us...and I think he's gaining confidence by the day...Also, Ortiz is a keeper...I can see him replacing Mateo...who finally got a clutch hit tonight...

• Like 1

Finally Gunnar seems to have a handle on what is going on.  Ortiz really looks like he could be starting at second or SS right now.  

Mateo could be super utility defensive replacement pinch runner type of guy.  

Edited by Gurgi

I keep forgetting that he's still only 21 years old.  It's encouraging to see the hits start to fall and the power start to show itself, but with 26 walks, the second most on the team, he's shown from the beginning of the season that he has a good sense of the strike zone.  

• Upvote 1

Gunnar has hit into some bad luck, gotten burned on a few questionable strike three calls and has been absolutely robbed a few times this year. Add six hits to his season total and he's hitting .250 to go with what would be a .374 OBP. 

This can be said of pretty much all hitters but when looking at a 21 year old kid who started off slow, it's nice to have a little bit of perspective. I've been happy with the aggressiveness lately. I thought he was being too passive during the first half of the season so far. He's going to be absolutely fine. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up hitting somewhere in the .240 - .250 range when the season is all said and done. 

21 years old. 

4 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I keep forgetting that he's still only 21 years old.  It's encouraging to see the hits start to fall and the power start to show itself, but with 26 walks, the second most on the team, he's shown from the beginning of the season that he has a good sense of the strike zone.  

Third youngest player on a MLB roster opening day behind Jordan Walker and Ezequiel Tovar.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, banks703 said:

Gunnar has hit into some bad luck, gotten burned on a few questionable strike three calls and has been absolutely robbed a few times this year. Add six hits to his season total and he's hitting .250 to go with what would be a .374 OBP. 

This can be said of pretty much all hitters but when looking at a 21 year old kid who started off slow, it's nice to have a little bit of perspective. I've been happy with the aggressiveness lately. I thought he was being too passive during the first half of the season so far. He's going to be absolutely fine. I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up hitting somewhere in the .240 - .250 range when the season is all said and done. 

21 years old. 

His BABIP is .288.  That doesn’t suggest much bad luck. It’s about where you would expect, though maybe a lefty with speed who hits the ball hard you might expect a little better than average.