Memorial Day and the trade deadline

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would make a play for Eduardo Rodriguez and then have Wells out of the bullpen in the 2nd half.

Rodriguez is the one pitcher who looks like he could match up with any team’s ace.   

I would consider Hall or Westburg in a deal.

Tigers are 2 and a half games back of 1st place right now.   They have been playing much better baseball since we crushed them earlier.  I'm not so sure they will be looking to deal for prospects.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would make a play for Eduardo Rodriguez and then have Wells out of the bullpen in the 2nd half.

Rodriguez is the one pitcher who looks like he could match up with any team’s ace.   

I would consider Hall or Westburg in a deal.

I like going after E-Rod. I would create a package around Mayo, Ortiz, and McKenna 

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Tigers are 2 and a half games back of 1st place right now.   They have been playing much better baseball since we crushed them earlier.  I'm not so sure they will be looking to deal for prospects.

Let’s see where they are in two months.

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I agree, but ERod has the opt out he will surely use. His cost should be along the lines of the QO value in prospects. Maybe Norby, Stowers value. Include Gibson to offset salary some. DET gets better short term and long term. We get a front of rotation guy as a rental we could try to extend.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not trading Mayo for a rental.

Erod has three years left on his contract, he can opt out next year, but maybe he wouldn't on the Orioles? 

Okay, maybe Ortiz, McKenna, and say Watkins gets him because of the threat of an opt out?  

It seems that the vibes are about as good as they could be right now with the winning and a great mix of players and personalities. Some young, some middle-aged, a few vets. I don't think they necessarily should make the move right at this time.

I'm wondering, and this might not play much of a role but, is there anyone that doesn't quite fit the group? It seems like all of them get along very well and they mesh together. Does anyone see their role at risk and scoff at the idea of going from an everyday role to part-time? Or part-time to a more sporadic role?

It seems to me that Mountcastle is the one guy with a differing type of mindset than others with his approach at the plate. That type of diversity isn't the worst thing but that low of an OBP really sticks out when it's coming from a first baseman . Urias and Mateo look increasingly like their roles are in jeopardy. 

But how does the clubhouse react to a move involving one of these guys?

4 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Erod has three years left on his contract, he can opt out next year, but maybe he wouldn't on the Orioles? 

Okay, maybe Ortiz, McKenna, and say Watkins gets him because of the threat of an opt out?  

Assuming his pitching stays at close to this level I don't see why he wouldn't opt out unless a team signed him to an extension that would be roughly equivalent to what he'd get if he opted out.

He can do better than 3/49 on the market.

8 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

I forgot the opt out. That is interesting because he probably takes the opt out only if he is performing well. So you could be paying for 1+ good year or 3+ mid-bad years. I'm not sure which I'd be rooting for in that situation.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Norby and Stowers for Gioloto?

I can see something like this. I don’t think they will mind a rental and this helps with some of that depth.

I would be truly upset if Elias made this trade.  Giolito is a rental.  I think you might be able to get him for Cesar Prieto or Prieto and a low minors arm like Pham.  He's not a guy who you get 3 or 4-for 1 because he's only going to be here for half a season.

1 minute ago, Filmstudy said:

I would be truly upset if Elias made this trade.  Giolito is a rental.  I think you might be able to get him for Cesar Prieto or Prieto and a low minors arm like Pham.  He's not a guy who you get 3 or 4-for 1 because he's only going to be here for half a season.

Well, if you can get him for less, great…but there will be a lot of teams going after him and you aren’t getting him for what are basically scrap heap guys. 

I don't expect anything major, but I do think we'll see some tinkering.  I wouldn't be shocked to see us move a prospect or two from the 15-25 range for a rental reliever or maybe a non-premium starter (depending on how our rotation fares results-wise and health-wise over the next month or two.). I don't see us really doing anything until the deadline is much closer.

I don't think it will happen, but it seems to me that we need to make some sort of decision with respect to Mateo.  It is pretty clear that he is prone to wild swings of hot/cold.  If he's on a cold streak in the playoffs he's basically unplayable.  Maybe we just ride it out and go to Ortiz in those spots.  If that's the case, I'd like to see us go with more of a timeshare at SS for the short-term to see what we have.  Then, just hope Mateo gets hot again at the right time.