Why wasn’t Mullins in for defense in the 9th last night?

dystopia

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I read it to mean "absence" from the lineup.  I assumed he was still with the team, just not available to play.  

When it's a "personal reason," the player is usually not with the team. It's usually because they have to be somewhere else to attend to something urgent, like a critical illness in the family. I know you know this and so I wonder why you want to debate this.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

If it just a one day absence, that would make me think it’s not something overly serious. Hopefully that is the case.

Yes. Somewhere I read or heard Hyde saying that he "hoped" it was only one day.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

When it's a "personal reason," the player is usually not with the team. It's usually because they have to be somewhere else to attend to something urgent, like a critical illness in the family. I know you know this and so I wonder why you want to debate this.

You obviously seem to have had the correct interpretation.  It wasn't as obvious to me and apparently others.

No big deal my friend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, someone downvoting you for this post is the height of stupidity.

Secondly, I doubt that Mullins catches that ball.

I actually think Mullins catches that ball rather easily. It was a route problem, not a range problem. McKenna just isn't as good of an OFer as Mullins, but we know that. 

I had the same exact thought last night and said it as the play was happening, but I also knew that since Mullins was listed as "out for personal reasons" that he was truly unavailable (come to find out in this thread that he wasn't even with the team), so it was a pointless gripe. We won the game, and that sort of thing won't happen later on when all hands are on deck.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, someone downvoting you for this post is the height of stupidity 

Someone downvoted me the other day for starting a poll on whether to keep Thank God I’m a Country Boy.  I didn’t even take a position on this issue, I just asked the question!

On the McKenna play: Badeball Savant says that would have been a 4-star catch, with a 35% catch probability.   Here’s the play for anyone who wants to see it again.   https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=48544075-4044-4623-88c6-4fa3c3f29eb2

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Someone downvoted me the other day for starting a poll on whether to keep Thank God I’m a Country Boy.  I didn’t even take a position on this issue, I just asked the question!

On the McKenna play: Badeball Savant says that would have been a 4-star catch, with a 35% catch probability.   Here’s the play for anyone who wants to see it again.   https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=48544075-4044-4623-88c6-4fa3c3f29eb2

It's absurd for anyone to blame McKenna for not making that grab. Maybe Mullins makes a spectacular play, but that's pretty irrelevant since McKenna isn't competing with Mullins for the starting CF job. I'm not some huge McKenna supporter and I was absolutely annoyed when he dropped that ball in Boston, but hearing people continually post that they "still haven't forgiven him" is getting old. He's having a solid year and he's a fine 4th OFer. I'm all good with moving on from him eventually, but even when we bring up Cowser they will probably want another RH bat out there and it's always good to have speed on the bench. 

From my memory of watching it live and then the replay that was showed, I thought McKenna was shaded to the LF side of second base and relatively shallow. Maybe that's where they wanted him, but at the time I didn't think it was the best position for him in that situation against a LH hitter and made his route to the ball pretty far.

Edited by FlaO'sFan