One third of the way through the season

wildcard

O's are on a 102-60 pace.

Some notable achievements so far:

Mountcastle is on pace for 33 homer and 114 RBI.

Mateo is on pace to steal 45 bases.

Gibson is on pace for 18 wins.

Wells has a 0.83 WHIP.

O's pen is 3rd in the MLB with a 3.11 ERA

• Upvote 1

It's interesting, when I look at the individual performances of our players, I don't see a lot of guys having fluky good seasons.  For every guy who's overperforming a bit, there's someone who's underperforming a bit.  From that perspective, the team's performance seems pretty sustainable.   On the other hand, the team's actual record (34-20) is 4 games better than its pythagorean record (30-24).   That kind of differential isn't likely to be sustained over the remaining 2/3 of the season.   But the first 1/3 of the season is water under the bridge, so maybe we play the last 2/3 at about 60-48 (same pace as our current pythag) and add in the 34-20 start to end at around 94-68?   Obviously, injuries, deadline moves and hot and cold streaks will have a lot to say about how the O's do from here forward.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Adley leads MLB in walks. Hays is hitting .315 and is our OPS leader at .867.

We have zero players with .900 or higher. Toronto has 1 (Bichette), NYY 1 (Judge, but Rizzo is close at .880), Tampa 4! (Lowe, Arozarena, Yandy, Raley). 

Anything can happen but it's hard seeing Tampa being able to sustain what they're doing.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

O's are on a 102-60 pace.

Some notable achievements so far:

Mountcastle is on pace for 33 homer and 114 RBI.

Mateo is on pace to steal 45 bases.

Gibson is on pace for 18 wins.

Wells has a 0.83 WHIP.

O's pen is 3rd in the MLB with a 3.11 ERA

I think we know that wall effects Mountcastle that’s why we go big picture approach and ignore the slumps. If not for the wall, Mountcastle would be close to Trumbo’s first year with us. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we know that wall effects Mountcastle that’s why we go big picture approach and ignore the slumps. If not for the wall, Mountcastle would be close to Trumbo’s first year with us. 

The O's ignore Mounty's slumps because they have no one better.

There was a decent ESPN article yesterday about the 1/3 mark and I Agree with a lot in it, honestly.  Before this season I expected the team to be better than last year but struggle a lot.  Those struggles have been masked or non existent in many areas and in some ways the calvary is on the way.  The pitching, especially the bullpen, has been incredible.  Mullins 39 RBIs puts him top ten in MLB, Adley is 2nd in walks with 41.

Maybe we aren't a playoff team, but we won't be far from it if that ends up being the case. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37727261/memorial-day-mlb-standings-check-surprises-disappointments-2023