Ryan O'Hearn has to start

Mr-splash

11 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

.105/.105/.211 in last 7 days

.222/.222/.278 in last 14 days

.264/.270/.417 in last 28 days

It's a pretty ordinary slump but it's something to keep on eye considering his career resume. .346 BABIP thus far with a career .283 BABIP. 

I hope Hyde has a quick hook ready for when this ride comes to an end. One of the things that I think gets a little lost is how bad O'Hearn's plate discipline has been. People get on Mountcastle, but O'Hearn is no better. Only 11 BB in 233 PA now, vs 55 K's. 

• Upvote 1

I've been starting to notice this too.     The other data slice is 15/0 K/BB recently.

Like with Hicks, I never figured this carpet ride would last as long as it did.     Hopefully he can make an adjustment back.     O'Hearn being younger I had a little more hope a breakthrough may have been present.

7 weeks to go - its certainly possible in another few the #RisingTide overtakes him.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would think that either Mountcastle or O'Hearn are headed out of town with Mayo and Kjerstad almost ready.

I’m not sure that’s necessarily true. Mateo and Urias were both retained and Frazier added this year with Henderson clearly ready and Westburg and Ortiz in the wings.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I think he has a long leash but it’s getting shorter. I would say he has until the end of the month to figure things out.

Or what?  I don’t think he’s going anywhere.  He may see his playing time cut significantly, which is fine if others are hitting.  

1 hour ago, survivedc said:

I’m not sure that’s necessarily true. Mateo and Urias were both retained and Frazier added this year with Henderson clearly ready and Westburg and Ortiz in the wings.

The prospects can't stay in the minors forever or even a couple of years in AAA.  They have to be promoted or traded.  Pretty soon, there will be no room for promotions to AAA.  There is already a discussion where Holliday will play at AAA.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Does anyone else think that O’Hearn’s emergence sort of evens out the money that we’re paying Chris Davis?  

Well, if you mean the money we are paying Davis this year, then maybe.  If I recall, when Davis retired, he agreed to spread out the $17 mm he was owed for 2022 over two years, meaning we are paying him $8.5,mm this year. Fangraphs says O’Hearn has been worth $7.2 mm so far this year, and we are paying him $1.4 mm.  There’s still enough time left in this season where O”Heath’s excess value could reach $8.5 mm for the year and make up for what we are paying Davis this year.  Of course, it doesn’t make up for the $110.5 mm we paid Davis from 2016-22 or the $$42 mm we still owe him after this year.  

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The prospects can't stay in the minors forever or even a couple of years in AAA.  They have to be promoted or traded.  Pretty soon, there will be no room for promotions to AAA.  There is already a discussion where Holliday will play at AAA.

They don't need to do anything until they a forced to do so. The Dodgers and Rays have been stashing prospects in the upper minors for years. They can do so as long as they have minor league options available. They will figure out the playing time. Very few have even been there for a full year. 

EDIT: I just looked it up and Ortiz and Norby are the only top infield prospects who started at Norfolk and are still there. 

Edited by MCO'sFan