Bullpen Hierarchy

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I'm leaving the light on for Dillon Tate, even though his injury has been kind of a disaster this year. But - the stress reaction diagnosis at least explained his bad rehab appearances. If he still looks bad in his next batch of rehab starts, then yeah, I'm writing him off for this year. 

Must trade for a reliever. MUST.

I think we would be better off having opitonable arms in the last two spots in the pen.  Then just rotate guys based on need.  

There are going to be changes to the pen.  Its just hard to know who will step forward.

Tate and Givens are starting their Norfolk rehab this weekend.   One or both should be in the majors in 7-14 days.

GRod has two starts under is belt since he was sent down.   Another 3 starts equaling 20 days probably has him back in the majors.   That will be 6 starters with one going to the pen.   I don't know which one but barring injury someone is going to the pen.

Hall is making progress on findings his command.  Elias wants him to master starting at AAA.   Which he could do in a month.   But that does not mean he comes to the majors as a starter.  He probably joins the pen.

Vespi continues to show he can get AAA batters out.   Currently 1.77 ERA and a 0.984 WHIP at AAA. He needs a shot at a slot in the pen.  

Elias  will probably add someone to the pen in mid to late July depending on how the above pitchers are doing.

Means will probably rehab in July and return to the rotation in August.  When he does some  starter will go to the pen.

There are bunch on ways that pitchers can be added to the pen.  It just hard to know which one(s) pan out.

Edited by wildcard

I can't figure out Perez... but opponents sure have. He's throwing more curves (which isn't working) but this year the slider is his only reliable pitch. His FB has essentially the same velo and spin as before, but opponents hit .221 off that 4-seamer last year, and this year they're hitting .441. Walk rate up, and K rate is in the bottom 5 percentile of all MLB. In 2022 they hit .217 against him overall (so a team full of Jeff Tacketts) and this year it's .340, or an all-Lou Gehrig lineup. 

He's the person I least want to see pitching in any kind of close game right now. I think Coloumbe might be this year's Perez, but I hope they can find or trade for another lefty, if Perez can't be 'fixed'.