Mullins and Mountcastle back soon?

Sports Guy

I don't know of any other sport where you see as many guys who are having a lot of success, seemingly just entering their prime then fall off a cliff. It's such a fine line between success and failure in this game. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course he won’t.  But his problems the last couple of months are more than just plate discipline.  His plate discipline has never been good, but he’s been a much better hitter than so far this season.  So it’s more about getting his stroke and timing going.  

Here’s how I see it: Norfolk’s team OPS is around .850 and we’ve had many guys exceeding that, including guys like Lester.  Even Daz Cameron is at .835.   Mountcastle should stay there until he’s raking.  If he isn’t, no reason to think he’ll do well in the majors.  

Sure.  I don't disagree.  I was pointing out that the idea he's going to suddenly have plate discipline spending 20 days in Norfolk is kinda wild.  I have no problem with him spending a lot of time in Norfolk but let's not expect miracles with him when it comes to swing decisions.  

12 minutes ago, vab said:

I don't know of any other sport where you see as many guys who are having a lot of success, seemingly just entering their prime then fall off a cliff. It's such a fine line between success and failure in this game. 

NFL football is similar because it's such a physically taxing sport. Most running backs only have a shelf life of 3-5 years at their peak. That doesn't apply to quarterbacks and kickers, but a lot of the other skill positions can see drastic dropoffs.

Baseball is the toughest skill sport overall, though. 

18 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

Ortiz back to AAA.

Confirmed or are you speculating? I wouldn't be surprised, although to me Lester makes more sense since you're adding a lefty in Mullins and are still missing a righty in Mountcastle. Therefore, it would make sense to hold onto the righty Ortiz. 

Edited by interloper

2 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

NFL football is similar because it's such a physically taxing sport. Most running backs only have a shelf life of 3-5 years at their peak. That doesn't apply to quarterbacks and kickers, but a lot of the other skill positions can see drastic dropoffs.

Baseball is the toughest skill sport overall, though. 

True but there's usually a pattern where a player will get better, peak then tail off in production. In baseball you see guys get better, seemingly still on the rise then just collapse. 

35 minutes ago, interloper said:

Confirmed or are you speculating? I wouldn't be surprised, although to me Lester makes more sense since you're adding a lefty in Mullins and are still missing a righty in Mountcastle. Therefore, it would make sense to hold onto the righty Ortiz. 

Speculating. He has been on the roster for the last 7 games and has gotten a grand total of 5 AB's. 

21 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

Speculating. He has been on the roster for the last 7 games and has gotten a grand total of 5 AB's. 

That doesn't make sense, though. Mateo is hitting .117 in 94 ABs vs RHP dating back to May 1. You have to be on the verge of putting either Ortiz or Henderson at SS vs righties. Ortiz is your best defensive option, and the Orioles value defense, especially at SS, highly.