Looking ahead, end of June and July schedule

Moose Milligan

Hard schedule ahead for us.

We start with 3 against the Mariners tomorrow night who always seem to give us fits.  Two weeks ago, I thought the Reds would be an easier series but they're the hottest team in the majors right now, they've won 11 straight.  Then it's the Twins, @NYY, @ Twins, ASB, Marlins, Dodgers, @Rays, @Phillies, NYY and @Blue Jays to finish the month of July and into August.

Outside of the Twins (who you still have to respect a little bit), that's a hard road.  

I'm not totally concerned about it because we've risen to the occasion more times than not this season.  But what I AM worried about is the Yankees schedule over the same amount of time:

They're finishing a series against the Mariners tonight and looking for a sweep.  Then they have the Rangers, @A's, @Cardinals, Orioles, Cubs, ASB, @Rockies, @Angels, Royals, Mets, Orioles, Rays to finish the month of July and into August.

They still have some tough competition but I'd much rather have their schedule than ours.  

We are 4.5 games up on them in the standings.  And if our biggest fears about the other shoe dropping and reverting to our Pythag are going to happen, this seems like a prime time for it to occur.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hard schedule ahead for us.

We start with 3 against the Mariners tomorrow night who always seem to give us fits.  Two weeks ago, I thought the Reds would be an easier series but they're the hottest team in the majors right now, they've won 11 straight.  Then it's the Twins, @NYY, @ Twins, ASB, Marlins, Dodgers, @Rays, @Phillies, NYY and @Blue Jays to finish the month of July and into August.

Outside of the Twins (who you still have to respect a little bit), that's a hard road.  

I'm not totally concerned about it because we've risen to the occasion more times than not this season.  But what I AM worried about is the Yankees schedule over the same amount of time:

They're finishing a series against the Mariners tonight and looking for a sweep.  Then they have the Rangers, @A's, @Cardinals, Orioles, Cubs, ASB, @Rockies, @Angels, Royals, Mets, Orioles, Rays to finish the month of July and into August.

They still have some tough competition but I'd much rather have their schedule than ours.  

We are 4.5 games up on them in the standings.  And if our biggest fears about the other shoe dropping and reverting to our Pythag are going to happen, this seems like a prime time for it to occur.

I looked ahead and immediately wished I had not.  I'm a big fan of the "one game at a time" mentality.  Let's beat Seattle tomorrow.  

• Upvote 1

Another thing.  We are 8 games away from numeric mid-season.  If we win five, we'll be at 50 wins for the half season.  I wouldn't have bet on that.  

Broke my own rule.  Visions of sugar plums, and all that.  

If we use a fifth starter against Seattle, we start the Yankee series with our best two pitchers.

Edited by Baltimorecuse
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Times change.  I don't think the NY sports media has the power it enjoyed at one time.  Back in the day, this would be an outside page story with a snotty headline about Boone.  

That'll happen if it hasn't already.  Cashman's already had to come out and defend his team once earlier this year.

Judge is still hurt but Stanton is back.  Seems like they can never get those two healthy and in the same lineup at the same time.  

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That'll happen if it hasn't already.  Cashman's already had to come out and defend his team once earlier this year.

Judge is still hurt but Stanton is back.  Seems like they can never get those two healthy and in the same lineup at the same time.  

Giancarlo and Jorge Mateo have about the same OPS last 21 days.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Besides the Central divisions and only a handful of teams everyone is at or about .500.  6 teams are below  .500 in American League, 4 of those are in the Central the other two are Oakland and Mariners who are one game under.   The National league has 7 teams below .500.  

The Reds are playing well but in there 11 game game winning streak.  They have beat the Cardinals(31-44), Royals(21-54) Astros(41-34) & Rockies (29-48). The Astros wins are impressive but the other wins are against 3 teams who are dead last and 65 games under .500.