Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

9/9 17

Spoiler

Jack Voigt, Stacy Jones, Nate McLouth

Jon Matlack, Bobby Bonilla, Wally Backman

Bobby Bonds, Steve Carlton, Don Robinson

Voigt was .04%, Stacy Jones was .02%.  McLouth was 5%.  

Proud to say I didn't use the most obvious options for Mets/Rangers (Nolan Ryan) and Pirates/Giants (Barry Bonds).  But thinking about Nolan Ryan and his former teammates got me to Jon Matlack.  Thinking about Barry Bonds got me to his father who filled a square.  

• Upvote 1

I tried to do all Orioles. Couldn’t pull one for SF/Chi. Looked at the list and I saw four that I recognized would work. I used one for the SF/Bal square. The other three, you have to go back 40+ years. 

I used a popular Tx/SF answer who also played for Baltimore. He got me 20 points. The other seven got me 10.1 total.

I’ve literally never heard of Stacy Jones.  I used Vance Worley for O’s/Pirates, good for 0.7%.   Took a while to dredge his name from my aging memory banks, though I could picture him and his goggles before for several minutes before his name finally popped into my head.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 17

Reveal hidden contents

Jack Voigt, Stacy Jones, Nate McLouth

Jon Matlack, Bobby Bonilla, Wally Backman

Bobby Bonds, Steve Carlton, Don Robinson

Voigt was .04%, Stacy Jones was .02%.  McLouth was 5%.  

Proud to say I didn't use the most obvious options for Mets/Rangers (Nolan Ryan) and Pirates/Giants (Barry Bonds).  But thinking about Nolan Ryan and his former teammates got me to Jon Matlack.  Thinking about Barry Bonds got me to his father who filled a square.  

Very impressive!

I was 9/9, 42, with 7 Orioles used.

Spoiler

Rick Helling 0.3%, Ozzie Guillen 1%, Grant Jackson 2%

Tommy  Hunter 0.6%, Tom Seaver 13%, Joe Orsulak 0.3%

Will Clark 21%, Steve Stone 0.7%, Bill Madlock 2%.

Once again, my brain's apparent inability to remember where Bobby Bonilla played after Mets/Orioles cost me a chance to fill a square with an Oriole, and probably some rarity points too as I'm sure he would have been less than 13% in the NYM/CWS squre.   And I couldn't come up with an Oriole for SF/Pitt either.   After the fact I see that Jose Mesa, Jeff Robinson, and Denny Bautista would have filled that square... ain't no way I ever would have pulled one of those names out of thin air.  It's unlikely I could have come up with anyone but Clark for the Tex/SF square who played for the Orioles, to save rarity points.   The other names I can see are Jim Poole, Tom O'Malley, and John Orsino [who played with the 1960s Senators who became the Rangers].  Never would have hit on those guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ve literally never heard of Stacy Jones.  I used Vance Worley for O’s/Pirates, good for 0.7%.   Took a while to dredge his name from my aging memory banks, though I could picture him and his goggles before for several minutes before his name finally popped into my head.

I remember Stacy Jones because when he was called up my dad thought he was going to be awesome for some reason.  I think all it had to do with was that he was a big, big dude and looked like he could throw hard.

That, and he went to school with Gregg Olson which lead to this baseball card which I had to have and absolutely (still) love:

92sjonesolsonf.jpg

Stacy Jones, just happy to be there. 

Anyway, he wasn't up with the club for very long.  The post that I found this picture of that card tells us:

Fleer's Super Star Specials were always great for unconventional shots of your favorite team's players posing with guys from other teams. In this instance, they were able to find four players from the Orioles and White Sox who had all played at Auburn University. You've got one of the greatest athletes of the 1980s (of all time, really), the young star who would become the greatest hitter in Pale Hose history, a stud closer with a killer curveball, and some random righthanded rookie who pitched 11 innings. In a funny coincidence, Stacy Jones pitched only two more innings in his major league career...for the 1996 White Sox. It's somewhat fitting that the gradient border fades to white on Stacy's end of the card. There's also a great view of the new Comiskey Park behind the quartet, with the famous scoreboard on full display.

In case you're interested, this picture would have been taken during the weekend of August 2-4, 1991. The visiting O's won two out of three. Ben McDonald beat Alex Fernandez 3-0 in the opener, despite Chicago outhitting the Birds 8-5. Bob Milacki tossed seven strong innings to best Jack McDowell by a score of 6-3 in the middle game. But ancient knuckleballer Charlie Hough salvaged the finale, shutting out the Orioles and rookie Mike Mussina 1-0. Gregg Olson saved the two Baltimore wins, the Big Hurt went 5-for-10 with 2 HR and 4 RBI in the series, and Bo (who was still sidelined with his hip injury) and Stacy Jones did not play.

Im definitely in a slump on the easy grids, either due to careless mistakes or getting too greedy.  Today it was the latter.  I used Vern Stephens for 40 HR shortstop and got dinged - he maxed out at 39.   8/9 136.   

Another successful ALL ORIOLE grid!    

9/9, 28

Spoiler

I had a couple I was stabbing in the dark on to try for an all Oriole grid, and both guesses panned out.   Dave Johnson had a 40 HR season with Atlanta after we traded him.   He was a 2nd baseman by trade, but I took the chance that maybe he got in a game at short in his career, and he did.   And for DH/Tampa I guessed Steve Pearce and hoped he got in a game at DH while he was at Tampa and he had.

Columns:  40HR, Rookie of the Year, Rays

Played SS:  Davey Johnson, Cal Ripken, Tim Beckham

Played CF:  Brady Anderson Al Bumbry, Brett Phillips

Played DH:  Mark Trumbo, Eddie Murray, Steve Pearce

And I realized afterwards I could have lowered my rarity score if I had thought to replace Cal Ripken with Ron Hansen.

Edited by SteveA
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Im definitely in a slump on the easy grids, either due to careless mistakes or getting too greedy.  Today it was the latter.  I used Vern Stephens for 40 HR shortstop and got dinged - he maxed out at 39.   8/9 136.   

I think sometimes my goal of including Orioles helps me avoid pitfalls like that.   Rather than searching for a low% alternative to the "obvious" high% answer (like A-Rod for 40 HR SS), and maybe taking a guess that turns out wrong, I'm looking for Orioles.   And if I find one, it often is a low % number. 

• Upvote 1

9/9 96

Ernie Banks, Cal Ripken Jr, Ben Zobrist

Andruw Jones, Mike Trout, Kevin Kiermaier

Jose Canseco, Gunnar Henderson, Fred McGriff 

Maybe not the greatest rarity point score ever but you'll have a hard time finding a grid answer set with more WAR than that one.

• Upvote 1

9/9 207.  Just wanted to get it done. 

Frank Robinson, Kirk Gibson, Adrian Beltre

Nolan Ryan, Zack Grienke, Randy Johnson

Andrelton Simmons, Gaylord Perry, Bret Boone 

Could be fun to try and score as high as possible.