Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a little weird to see them do a call up mid series yeah? To me that makes me think someone is going on IL.

I agree with you. As others have speculated, it makes me think Hays’ injury might be a little worse than anticipated. I hope it isn’t because I’m not sure how many opportunities he will get to play in the All Star game, and I’d hate to see him be unable to play.

Edited by Sydnor

2 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I can’t ever remember so many people being so bitter about the callups of top prospects.  It’s very odd. 

Agreed.  He's an impact two-way player with a plus hit tool.  I'll be interested in how much playing time he gets because he needed a week or so to adjust to AAA last year.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think you are completely over exaggerating what people were saying and not showing the proper context to everything.

A quick read of posts from searching "Cowser" starting with posts from a day or 2 ago is all you need. I didn't even have to click very far for them to start popping up.

"Hicks should not even be considered for an AB over Cowser ."

"This team has all the pieces to be an elite offense when you consider Cowser, Kjerstad, and Ortiz will each... "

"Since there is a lot of thought that Cowser is ready, see them parting with Santander or Hays"

...And on and on and on it went for at least 2 months.

12 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I can’t ever remember so many people being so bitter about the callups of top prospects.  It’s very odd. 

After constant patting on the back of Elias for bringing those players into the system too.

Just makes no sense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I guess it's because of the record, which is understandable... but for the love of God people, have some faith in the guy who has constructed this thing.

A largely homegrown lineup has led us to a 49-35 record. I've waited decades for this organization to be in this position. The lineup tonight is most likely going to include Gunnar Henderson, Adley Rutschman, Jordan Westburg, Austin Hays, Cedric Mullins and Colton Cowser. 

Rejoice!!!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

A quick read of posts from searching "Cowser" starting with posts from a day or 2 ago is all you need. I didn't even have to click very far for them to start popping up.

Again, you are providing quotes without context or even finishing the quotes so we don’t know what other point was being made.

First of all, the first one is right. Hicks had a nice little stretch for us at first but overall, he has no business getting at bats over Cowser.

If you can deal Hays or Santander and get back pitching and put in Cowser, nothing will be lost and likely there is something gained. You also aren’t taking into account defense.

And yes, high level talent gives you the chance to have an elite level offense. Is that really a controversial statement?

What people are saying is that they think Cowser upgrades the team because of his offensive potential and his defensive improvement.  No one has said he’s going to light the world on fire as soon as he’s brought up.  No one has said he will be the ROY despite only 3 months of at bats.  Just that he makes the team better and it’s very likely that he does.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, gretzkyscores said:

This may have been discussed in another topic stream in the last couple years... was Elias's approach in Houston to draft bats and buy/trade for pitchers? That is mostly what is going on here? I don't have a problem with it if it works. I do note that something like 11 of the MLB active roster of 26 are usually pitchers, so they matter .....

Elias wasn't the GM in Houston, he was the scouting director from 2012-2016 and then Assistant GM from 2017-2018, so Houston's strategy wasn't necessarily his personal strategy, as he was never in charge. That said, he drafted pitchers in the first round in Houston in 2013, 2014, and 2016, and the club drafted another first round pitcher in 2017 after he moved up to Asst GM. It's possible that the poor returns on all three of those pitchers (Aiken didn't sign in 2014, but he never found any success elsewhere) has driven his current strategy. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If you can deal Hays or Santander and get back pitching and put in Cowser, nothing will be lost and likely there is something gained. You also aren’t taking into account defense.

You basically just proved our point about expectations. You're expecting Cowser to play on par or better than Hays or Santander before he's ever been thrown a Major League pitch. And that just shouldn't be the case.

12 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I think it’s the hype. There seems to be more hype for prospects today than I can ever remember. There are some that seem to think that everyone in the top 100 is going to be a star or at least an above average regular, when that is not even close to true (I’m not referring to this Board when I say some, more Twitter, etc.). The national media feeds the hype.

When you take all of the hype, and then you add to the fact that people had unrealistic expectations for what Gunnar would do as a 21 year old in his first professional season (I think he has been very good) and Adley’s mediocre first half based on expectations, and you start to get skepticism, which can come across as bitterness. 

You also have people who don’t just “root for laundry” that see players get called up as their favorite player(s) losing playing time. I don’t know that this necessarily applies to Cowser because I don’t think Hays or Santander will lose playing time due to his call up, but that sort of thing can create “bitterness.”

I’ll be honest, I don’t just root for laundry. I still root for Machado and I always will because we can all fan in our own ways.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The impetus of the idea of trading Hays or Santander isn't to make room for Cowser.... it's to receive a return that further improves the team. 

The concept is to bring together a cohesive, productive, controllable lineup that will be productive for the longest possible time. If that includes Hays or Santander, great. But it is conceptually possible that Hays or Santander could bring back a return that would improve the team. 

I don't expect that they will do that, as Hays & Santander are playing pretty large roles presently, and the organization has a surplus of talented young players to trade from. But we shouldn't be trading any of them right now for a 3 month rental. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I agree. Even taking this season out of the picture, I'd rather them see and know a little more about next season and beyond.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You basically just proved our point about expectations. You're expecting Cowser to play on par or better than Hays or Santander before he's ever been thrown a Major League pitch. And that just shouldn't be the case.

If you just DUMP Hays and Santander for nothing.... fine. 

You're dismissing the return for those players for some odd reason. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Santander has been worth 1.3 WAR this year. Do I think Cowser can be a 1ish WAR player over 2-3 months?  Yea I do.

Im not saying I think he has a 780-820 OPs and hits a bunch of homers (he could but I’m not saying he will) ala AS this year but when you take into account  offense and defense, yea I think he can do that.  

Add in the return for AS and the point becomes more obvious.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He didn't say Cowser could immediately replicate either of their production, but having Cowser step in and trading for a pitcher could be a net gain. It's not that complicated.