Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

Just now, Pickles said:

10 doubles is not very encouraging tbh.

Not great.  67 hits this year at Norfolk.  20 extra base hits.  My own personal formula is that 30% of hits being extra base hits is average power.  He was an on base machine (.459 OBP) though so it’s a worthwhile tradeoff.    

In 2022 when he finished the year at Norfolk, 12 (7 2B 5 hr) of his 23 hits were extra bases but strikeouts were high, average low, and OBP was .339.   I think he has plent of power but still figuring out who he is, who he wants to be, and what works best.

59 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not great.  67 hits this year at Norfolk.  20 extra base hits.  My own personal formula is that 30% of hits being extra base hits is average power.  He was an on base machine (.459 OBP) though so it’s a worthwhile tradeoff.    

In 2022 when he finished the year at Norfolk, 12 (7 2B 5 hr) of his 23 hits were extra bases but strikeouts were high, average low, and OBP was .339.   I think he has plent of power but still figuring out who he is, who he wants to be, and what works best.

He had a .207 ISO at Norfolk, I don't think he turns into a huge power hitter but I agree he has plenty of power and I think it will start to show once he gets more comfortable. 

On 8/2/2023 at 12:03 PM, RZNJ said:

It’s not true.  He hit right away at Delmarva.   Not a terrible start at Aberdeen.   Got off to a very hot start at Bowie.   The only thing similar to now is the beginning of this season at Norfolk.   The rest is a false narrative.

I think I may be one of the bigger Cowser fans on OH (maybe not the biggest, but feels like I like him more than most). 

But the "slow starter" narrative isn't quite off.  It's just a good part SSS and a bit cherry-picking and a dash of recency bias in the moment.  There was a potentially swing change that was debated and questioned too.  I definitely remember a lot of were doubting his ability last year ("Is the loss of OBP isn't worth tapping into whatever power he could have?  Because what he's doing isn't working!")  Especially early in the season.  

His first 14 games in Aberdeen he posted a .214/.318/.375 and there were quite a few questioning his start last year.  24:8 K:BB.  (And a .177/.283/.294 excluding a nice opening day line.)

Then he started taking walks but the hits still weren't falling.  From 4/8-5/14 he batted .222/.370/.352.  People were questioning his power and that it was .365 Babip fueled.  (Again, removing the OD line, he was hitting .204/.357/.311.).  A ton of GBs IIRC.  (Maybe an in-the-park GB HR?  I'm getting old...)

Bowie was gassed up start to finish.

Norfolk's first 10 games was .079/.255/.158 with a .133 Babip and a 22:5 K:BB.  After that he his .299/.390/.582 with a 16:8 K:BB.

Anyway, rightly/wrongly it's a "thing".  How much of it is psychological on our end dealing with SSS vs. an actual adjustment period is debatable.  

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Honestly, it's the only ball he's hit that's carried, but it looked beautiful.

That's not true. He's hit some warning track balls. I mean, he's not lighting the world on fire but he's not been as awful at the plate as his numbers are so far. 

22 minutes ago, banks703 said:

That's not true. He's hit some warning track balls. I mean, he's not lighting the world on fire but he's not been as awful at the plate as his numbers are so far. 

He’s hit some fly balls solidly and hit some line drives but that’s the first ball he’s truly driven with authority.  

22 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I think Cowser is about to get it going. No metrics or analysis just orange shaded sun glasses 

I said in his previous game it was the first time I had seen him take a swing with “bad intentions”.    I think he’s going to start showing some power.  Not sure about the hot streak or what kind of playing time he’ll get now.

I loved the fact that they gave him some time off specifically to work on his swing and the first at bat back, with 2 strikes he barreled up the ball for a solid double.

Given the results with O'Hearn, Frazier, Hicks and getting Mounty back on track after his vertigo, I have tons of faith in our hitting coaches and process and their ability to get Cowser on track.