Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

4 minutes ago, deward said:

I didn't think you were posting your personal opinions, I understood your intent. My response wasn't directed at you, more at the positions you were summarizing. 

I want the team to win, but I would also like to see a foundation laid that will keep the team relevant year in and year out, rather than a mid-90s style free agent splurge that can't be sustained. Not that I don't want them to invest in strategic free agents when the time and opportunity is right; I'm not looking for frugality, just a repeatable approach. So, in that sense, I do care where the players come from. A one and done 1997 Florida Marlins approach might be fun for a year, but a slide back into irrelevance right after the parade would take a lot of the shine off of it for me. A run to a ring from a home-grown foundation, with key acquisitions layered on top, would be a lot more satisfying for me, knowing that the pieces are there to try and run it right back (I know it's cliche at this point, but just like what Houston has managed to build). Seeing the pipeline start to product dividends seems like nothing but good news; reading some folks pooh-poohing it (not you) is just....strange. 

Understood. You responded to me, so I didn’t want you to misrepresent what I wrote.

To be clear, I’m not advocating for a Marlins approach. But I wouldn’t mind acquiring Cole, Pressly, and Verlander types for the staff by using some of the minor leaguers (I’d prefer they keep Mayo, Basallo, and Ortiz). 

36 minutes ago, deward said:

Why do they keep playing all these so-called "prospects"?? None of these guys have proven themselves, they look like "suspects" to me! Gimme Hicks and Frazier, at least you know what you're getting from them. And why won't they give Mateo a chance to get hot enough to carry the team again? This team could be winning a lot more games if they would just give those vets on the bench a chance.

Sir, went ahead and fixed her up for you.  No charge at all.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

It's not even the article, it's been said around here several times.

The article quote is about how all of the Orioles’ top prospects improved their projections from preseason 2022 through June 2022, except Bradish, who did have a rough start to the 2022 season. I wasn’t talking about Bradish this season. 

I brought it up because we are now on two consecutive years of nearly universal improvement across all of our top prospects, including Cowser. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

OK. Cowser got the office meeting even if it looked a bit rushed. Now we just need to see the uniform number to know if he's preferred prospect or not. 

By now you know he's been assigned #17.  I think anything below 59 is a keeper with the exception of Cano wearing #78.  Although we have seen where players ride out the current year and get assigned a lower number the next.

58 minutes ago, 86this said:

By now you know he's been assigned #17.  I think anything below 59 is a keeper with the exception of Cano wearing #78.  Although we have seen where players ride out the current year and get assigned a lower number the next.

And Felix rocking 74