Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If you read the OH message boards you would think so.

That's all I kept seeing every day. Cowser, Cowser, Cowser!!  I thought this thread would have a whole lot more celebrations from this news based on the posts for the past month or 2.  Even @Brooks The Great would take a totally unrelated topic and some how turn it into a Colton Cowser thread.

Well, here ya go. You guys got your wish! Now let's see how much the expectations change. I get the feeling some will be tempered, but I'll be happy to be wrong and see Colton Cowser turns into the next Mike Trout. It certainly would be better than what we've seen happen to Kyle Stowers. (Is he even active right now?)

I feel the need to clarify that my usage of Mike Trout was a simile to say that there's always a chance my expectations could be wrong and Cowser could over perform to surprise me. In other words, if he some how turns out to come right out of the gate as this great amazing player, I would be pleasantly surprised and happy to eat my crow. Because I'm afraid he's going to take some time to adapt to MLB pitching and that he won't have a big impact on the outcome of the games for a while, and that alot of the people around here will be disillusioned based on their posts from the past month on a daily basis.

Again, I'll be happy to be proven wrong here. I just want him to succeed. But I feel we need to be more patient than what the expectations that many people here seem to have indicated over the course of the last month or 2.

28 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

Maybe something isn't right with Mullins?  He has not looked good at all since he was rushed back.  That play yesterday where a runner from first scored on a grounder to center can't happen.  Was Mullins being tentative or just lackadaisical?  He isn't the type of player that helps you if he is at 80% because so much of his game is based on his speed and athleticism. 

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Mullins is put on the IL again with the Cowser move.

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's looked way better than Ortiz, especially at the plate.  

I think you're using hyperbole a little bit too much.  No one here has ever expected Cowser to be something like Mike Trout.  

I don't think it's unreasonable to see someone slashing .330/.459/.537 at AAA over 257 plate appearances and wondering WTF is taking so long that he hasn't been called up.  Especially when there are guys like McKenna on the team.

IMO, this move is, like, two weeks too late.  

Not to mention, he should be an upgrade defensively.

• Upvote 2

As always excited to see another blue chip...first few weeks the GB/FB rate is something I'm curious to see against MLB Arms.

In the International League, his 2.1 GB/FB ratio was 6th highest out of 113 qualified Bats.    Everyone knows you get your SLG in the air.     Most of the guys with him in the Top 10 are more slapdash kind of hitters, which as big as he looked in Spring Training, we know we don't want Cowser to be.

Some YTD MLB Bats near 2.1 GB/FB ratios: Christian Yelich, JD Davis, Luis Garcia, DJ LeMahieu, Masataka Yoshida, Bo Bichette.

Those are also the Top 6 among all qualified MLB Bats.    

If I drop the filter to 100 PA to let in role players, then you get Eric Hosmer, today's Miguel Cabrera, Josh Harrison and Jordan Walker around that level.     STL fans obviously looking for air ball growth from their big guy too, but MLB Arms are tough.    

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I hear the part on Cowser. I hope that fans are able to hold REALISTIC expectations for him.

But you have to admit, a good pitcher or 2 would really help. If we could replace Irvin or Gibson's start with a starting pitcher that is actually good/effective that would help seriously. And then if we could get just one good middle reliever that would be a big boost as well IMO.

both Irvin and Gibson pitched decently in their last start...the major problem is middle relief...we cant get a decent performance there...

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

Maybe something isn't right with Mullins?  He has not looked good at all since he was rushed back.  That play yesterday where a runner from first scored on a grounder to center can't happen.  Was Mullins being tentative or just lackadaisical?  He isn't the type of player that helps you if he is at 80% because so much of his game is based on his speed and athleticism. 

I can't imagine he's not healthy, unless he reinjured himself since Sunday.  Did you see the catch he made in Sunday's game (maybe not, it was the Peacock game after all).  An injured or 'not right' player does NOT make that play.

I think the ground ball thing was just that Ced was shifted towards RF and just didn't hustle enough to get over there, with Torres running on the pitch.  An unfortunate confluence of events.

Ryan Mckenna's AAA numbers in 2021/2022 in his age 24/25 seasons combined...

35 G 161 AB 14 HR. 299/.404./.649 all good for an OPS of 1.053

I'm not saying Cowser will struggle.  Man, we need a huge spark.  But.. what's the deal in Norfolk that everyone is OPS'ing off the charts?  I know we're loaded but Daz Cameron, Maverick Handley, and our new trade acquisition/milb filler Robbie Glendinning, all have an OPS around .800.  Career seasons all around.  

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ryan Mckenna's AAA numbers in 2021/2022 in his age 24/25 seasons combined...

35 G 161 AB 14 HR. 299/.404./.649 all good for an OPS of 1.053

I'm not saying Cowser will struggle.  Man, we need a huge spark.  But.. what's the deal in Norfolk that everyone is OPS'ing off the charts?  I know we're loaded but Daz Cameron, Maverick Handley, and our new trade acquisition/milb filler Robbie Glendinning, all have an OPS around .800.  Career seasons all around.  

Orioles magic.

For me, the goal for this team has to be a division title. Getting the wild card is fine and all, but it's not likely to lead to championships. 

Seeing where we are now, I think we are still a year away from being able to realistically compete for the division. Our position players are still young and growing, our starting rotation is spotty, and our middle relief needs help. 

I'm happy with the Cowser call up not because I think it's going to give us the spark to ignite a run, but because Cowser is now at the point where he needs to develop in the major leagues, and not at AAA. Westburg, Cowser, Henderson, and Rutschman are the future of this franchise. Now we need Grayson Rodriguez to earn himself a promotion back to Baltimore and then see where our rotation is heading into next year. For me, Wells and Bradish are part of our future. Gibson and Irvin are placeholders, and Kremer is a big question mark. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

both Irvin and Gibson pitched decently in their last start...the major problem is middle relief...we cant get a decent performance there...

AL Games Pitched leaders...

5. Baumann 39

10. Baker 38

Bautista 37

Columbe 36

Cano 35 (Didn't pitch until the 14th game of the season.  Probably the most used pitcher in MLB since getting debuting)

The top 5 in the pen are really taxed.  Chapman is off the market.  Unless Wandisson Charles is the 2nd coming of Cano, Elias needs to make a trade.  Amir Garrett?  Jorge Lopez?  Givens didn't look very good when up.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

AL Games Pitched leaders...

5. Baumann 39

10. Baker 38

Bautista 37

Columbe 36

Cano 35 (Didn't pitch until the 14th game of the season.  Probably the most used pitcher in MLB since getting debuting)

The top 5 in the pen are really taxed.  Chapman is off the market.  Unless Wandisson Charles is the 2nd coming of Cano, Elias needs to make a trade.  Amir Garrett?  Jorge Lopez?  Givens didn't look very good when up.  

Wandi just blew a 5-0 lead in the 9th (with some help from Gillaspie). He might have a ways to go before showing he can be trusted. Dare I ask, what about Krehbiel?