FA starters available in the offseason

Sports Guy

Other than Ohtani (who we are not going to realistically be in on), is there another sure fire TOR starter in this group? Some used to be, some have pitched close to that this year. But at those ages, to buy out on the open market, all of those propositions/pitchers appear to come with serious risk and/or they are not significant upgrades to what we have.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t take any of them (obviously some are better than others. And maybe some will be able to maintain their current levels for another couple of years? But the ages of most are a little concerning to me. For example, while many more of these kind of seasons does Stroman have in him at that age? Will Ed Rod ever be able to duplicate this current season? Will the juice be worth the squeeze with Giolito? Etc…

I have the answers to none of those questions, I just hope Elias does. If he is even allowed to buy.

57 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Other than Ohtani (who we are not going to realistically be in on), is there another sure fire TOR starter in this group? Some used to be, some have pitched close to that this year. But at those ages, to buy out on the open market, all of those propositions/pitchers appear to come with serious risk and/or they are not significant upgrades to what we have.

I’m not saying that I wouldn’t take any of them (obviously some are better than others. And maybe some will be able to maintain their current levels for another couple of years? But the ages of most are a little concerning to me. For example, while many more of these kind of seasons does Stroman have in him at that age? Will Ed Rod ever be able to duplicate this current season? Will the juice be worth the squeeze with Giolito? Etc…

I have the answers to none of those questions, I just hope Elias does. If he is even allowed to buy.

There's plenty of  other TOR starters on that list. 

Urias
Nola
Scherzer
Kershaw
Snell (potentially)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Urias
Nola
Scherzer
Kershaw
Snell (potentially)

Scherzer will take his option.

Kershaw will stay with the Dodgers if he doesn't retire.

Urias has 4.94 ERA this year.

Nola has 4.30 this year and 4.63 in 2021. I wouldn't call any of those guys "sure fire TOR" which was Bemorewins' language. 

Snell is close but has pitched >130 IP only once in his career. 

40 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Urias
Nola
Scherzer
Kershaw
Snell (potentially)

I’m sorry. I definitely forgot about Urias. 

The others have risk for sure. I don’t view Snell in that manner as an elite pitcher. He has elite strikeout numbers for sure, but he is also the definition of a “5 and dive” pitcher. Rarely does he ever get deep into games.

Scherzer big time risk with the age. Same with Kershaw and Kershaw is almost a guarantee to spend time on the IL at some point in the season.

Nola is kind of inconsistent. Which pitcher are you buying? Is he the very good pitcher from last year with the great WHIP? Or is he the more mediocre/middle of the pack pitcher that he has been this year?

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

How many sure fire TOR even exist at all and how many of those guys are available via trade?

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Sadly, probably none. Most of our probable AL competitors in the postseason have them though. 

And despite your obsession with this, that only means so much.

There are plenty of good pitchers available now and in the offseason and we will be fine if we get one.

Gray will probably get a haul after the career year he's having.  But he's been remarkably consistent over his career and I'd take a look at him.  I'd also look at Monty, Snell, Stroman and Hendricks.  I'm not saying I have to have any of those guys, but those would be guys on my radar.

I'd take a flier on Jack Flaherty and maybe Flexen.  Two guys that have had good seasons in their careers and still might have upside.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gray will probably get a haul after the career year he's having.  But he's been remarkably consistent over his career and I'd take a look at him.  I'd also look at Monty, Snell, Stroman and Hendricks.  I'm not saying I have to have any of those guys, but those would be guys on my radar.

I'd take a flier on Jack Flaherty and maybe Flexen.  Two guys that have had good seasons in their careers and still might have upside.

The O's should sign Gray just so they don't have to face him!

• Upvote 1