Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

If Padres move free agent to be Hader, I was wondering how Cade Povich compares to Eduardo Rodriguez, and who would say no to Povich for Hader.

Povich 4.12.2000 in his Age 23 season leads the Eastern League in k-bb (4.87 era in 80 innings)

Eduardo 4.7.1993 pitched the Eastern League at 21.     He was 5th in the league in k-bb (3.60 era in 120 innings).

I think due to youth I'd give Eduardo the edge - two months (and one tournament) of Miller and Hader feels ballpark similar in value.      Miller as a late breakout wasn't making the money Hader is though.

You know, a right handed pull side power bat isn’t really built for Camden Yards. Mayo could be a really nice trade chip considering he plays a position of excess and getting home runs over the left field wall is not an easy thing to do in Baltimore. 

Just a random thought. Obviously I wouldn’t trade him just to trade him but maybe you could possibly get someone like Cease for a package of something like Mayo, Stowers, and Kremer? 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Just a random thought. Obviously I wouldn’t trade him just to trade him but maybe you could possibly get someone like Cease for a package of something like Mayo, Stowers, and Kremer?

Why would we do that?  Heck, we are winning most of the games Kremer starts, how much better would we do with Cease?  And giving up Mayo and Stowers?  I understand Cease is controllable thru 2025, but is a deal like this really worth it?  Serious question.

8 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Why would we do that?  Heck, we are winning most of the games Kremer starts, how much better would we do with Cease?  And giving up Mayo and Stowers?  I understand Cease is controllable thru 2025, but is a deal like this really worth it?  Serious question.

I mean, I think so but I’m aware it’s entirely subjective. Just to peel apart my logic for what I suggested I’ll say that Mayo serves as the main offering, Stowers is very disposable in an organization with guys like Cowser and Kjerstad but he is a good prospect in his own right, and Kremer is a guy that I’m kinda just throwing in as a way to facilitate the whole thing. Cease has been worth over double of that of Kremer this year according to rWAR, his FIP is almost 5, Cease FIP is like 3.6 or something and has a track record of success. Considering next year there won’t really be room for Kremer in the rotation anyways, it’s just about clearing space for the better pitcher. 

O's receive: 3B/1B Jeimer Candelario

Nats receive: OF Stowers, RHP Denoyer, PTBNL

(L) Henderson - SS
(S) Adley - C
(S) Santander - DH
(L) O'Hearn - 1B
(S) Candelario - 3B
(L) Mullins - CF
(R) Hays - LF
(L) Westburg - 2B
(L) Cowser - RF

Bench: Frazier, Urias, Hicks, McCann

Edited by interloper

DL Hall for Jordan Montgomery.

Cardinals are looking for "controllable, near MLB ready pitching."

O's could use another starter.

Montgomery spent most of his career in the AL East. He's got a 3.37 ERA/2.1 WAR this season. He's 30. He's got a career 1.35 ERA in the postseason (2 outings).

I know a lot of people hate rentals, but (if the Cardinals were interested) I think this would be a nice move.

Edited by TommyPickles

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

O's receive: Jeimer Candelario

Nats receive: Stowers, Denoyer, PTBNL

(L) Henderson - SS
(S) Adley - C
(S) Santander - DH
(L) O'Hearn - 1B
(S) Candelario - 3B
(L) Mullins - CF
(R) Hays - LF
(L) Frazier - 2B
(L) Cowser - RF

I’d rather just stick with Westburg. I wouldn’t be benching or trading any top bats. In fact, I’d be letting the young guys adjust through September. Kjerstad included. Hays and Cowser can man CF. 

Candeliero is not a difference maker bat. He’s always played on terrible teams. He’s just an accumulator. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d rather just stick with Westburg. I wouldn’t be benching or trading any top bats. In fact, I’d be letting the young guys adjust through September. Kjerstad included. Hays and Cowser can man CF. 

Candeliero is not a difference maker bat. He’s always played on terrible teams. He’s just an accumulator. 

That's a fine opinion. In my scenario, Westburg and Cowser still play. Candelario has 3.0 WAR this year, 16 bombs, and a .334 OBP. He'd easily be one of our top bats. 

Just now, interloper said:

That's a fine opinion. In my scenario, Westburg and Cowser still play. Candelario has 3.0 WAR this year, 16 bombs, and a .334 OBP. He'd easily be one of our top bats. 

I’ll take Westburg being better H2H the rest of the season. Or it won’t be enough to make trade. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

O's receive: Jeimer Candelario

Nats receive: Stowers, Denoyer, PTBNL

I agree Candelario is a good hitter, but given that Elias has said that we're not in the market for a hitter and we already have a logjam in the infield, I'm just not seeing this as being on Elias' radar.