Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

Bowden suggests Povich and Wagner for Montgomery.

https://theathletic.com/4704246/2023/07/20/mlb-trade-rumors-contending-teams/?source=user_shared_article

The Orioles are committed to trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline, but they’re also committed to not trading any of their top prospects, including Jackson Holliday, Colton Cowser, Jordan Westburg, Heston Kjerstad, Joey Ortiz, Coby Mayo, Samuel Basallo or even DL Hall. However, their farm system is so deep, a deal could still get done for a pitcher such as Montgomery, perhaps with a package of something like lefty Cade Povich and third baseman Max Wagner. Povich, 23, has an eye-popping 115 strikeouts in 76 1/3 innings this season in Double A, with a 4.83 ERA in 17 starts. Wagner, 21, has hit .240/.374/.409 with 10 doubles, nine homers and 23 stolen bases in 69 games in High A.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s an interesting note if true. No Ortiz/Westburg/Hall.

If that’s true, Norby, Prieto, Stowers and any of the OF or P that we have are the ones likely to go.  

The beauty of having a DEEP farm system, huh? 

It's hard for me to even wrap my brain around it considering what we've all seen over the years.

33 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The beauty of having a DEEP farm system, huh? 

It's hard for me to even wrap my brain around it considering what we've all seen over the years.

Yep…I have been saying it for a few weeks now but there is zero reason we can’t add what we need without dipping into the top top guys.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep…I have been saying it for a few weeks now but there is zero reason we can’t add what we need without dipping into the top top guys.

I think if you're gonna make an earth shattering splash (which I don't believe they will do), the reality of that is one of the top guys needs to headline. 

Again, I don't know if Elias was necessarily expecting this team to be atop the American League East in mid-July. So maybe we aren't playing with house money now. Maybe this is actually going to continue... and maybe we ARE in a position to take a stab at this with the acquisition of a guy like Giolito or Jordan Montgomery. 

That's a tough call. It would definitely sting to part with one of the top guys and NOT win it all, but the reality of the situation is that this team is within striking distance.

It all feels very unfamiliar to me, this situation. It's obviously very positive but totally foreign - because last time we were in this position we had meh minor league system.

Today, we've got both barrels loaded and a stockpile of ammo on hand. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think if you're gonna make an earth shattering splash (which I don't believe they will do), the reality of that is one of the top guys needs to headline. 

Again, I don't know if Elias was necessarily expecting this team to be atop the American League East in mid-July. So maybe we aren't playing with house money now. Maybe this is actually going to continue... and maybe we ARE in a position to take a stab at this with the acquisition of a guy like Giolito or Jordan Montgomery. 

That's a tough call. It would definitely sting to part with one of the top guys and NOT win it all, but the reality of the situation is that this team is within striking distance.

It all feels very unfamiliar to me, this situation. It's obviously very positive but totally foreign - because last time we were in this position we had meh minor league system.

I agree with your first paragraph but outside of Othani MAYBE being available, who is going to be available that fits that criteria?

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

IMO - neither Giolito nor Montgomery do much to give us an advantage. They don’t really move the needle. If we are going to make the effort to trade and try to advance our chances for postseason success, I would rather not do a half-hearted measure. I would rather that we went after one the better pitches on the market (Snell, Stroman, Rodriguez).

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree with your first paragraph but outside of Othani MAYBE being available, who is going to be available that fits that criteria?

Yeah it's a fair question. I have no idea.... as @Frobby pointed out last night, the Fujinami trade came totally out of left field. 

Maybe there's a better pitcher who's more controllable and NOT a rental that's available... that's worth it and on nobody's radar.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah it's a fair question. I have no idea.... as @Frobby pointed out last night, the Fujinami trade came totally out of left field. 

Maybe there's a better pitcher who's more controllable and NOT a rental that's available... that's worth it and on nobody's radar.

It came out of LF for sure but if anyone took a second to look at their roster and saw he was rental making any amount of money, he would be a prime guy to move.

We know the Ms may trade a starter and want offense, so I can see dipping into that group for them. Other than that, I just don’t see anyone that would cause me to trade from that group.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It certainly looks like Lyles was cheating.

So even if Tork is a bust he's not just saying Lyles is cheating because he's not hitting him, he's saying it because he's apparently cheating. 

So I don't understand your comment that I bolded.

I'd be a bit salty if I SAW an opponent cheating and nothing was done about it.

It’s the way he got personal about Lyles’ record that I especially don’t like. It’s even worse to talk about someone’s performance when you’re a mediocre version of Ryan Mountcastle. 

Also, I just don’t care about small cheating like that. MLB has been complicit in this behavior for longer than I’ve been alive. If you actually want something done to stop what you consider cheating during the game, then go to the umpire while the game is going on. Don’t mock someone’s record after the fact. 

Edited by waroriole

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I hope that we can add either Eduardo Rodriguez, Blake Snell, or Marcus Stroman for our rotation (all guys with postseason experience and have been pitching like borderline #1s this season). And then add a bullpen arm like Robertson for the 6th/7th. If we can do those two things, I really like our chances in the AL (unless something crazy happens where the Rays/Rangers land Ohtani).

I’m not even certain that Ohtani gets moved though. The national media is selling these crazy costly trade packages that the Angels could/should get back. But I just don’t see it for just two months of a player, even one who is arguably worth as much or more than the best 2 players in the sport. It’s still just 2 months. 

I read an article on (I think it was ESPN) where they suggested even if we were to give the Angels Kjerstad AND Mayo along with Hall (which really made me scratch my head) it wouldn’t be enough. They even suggested that the Angels would ask for Holliday. My reaction to that piece and even some other talking heads like Bowden, is either the are seriously trying to help the Angels/Moreno, have some kind of relationship/undue influence, or they don’t know what in the world they are talking about. 

Either way, I’m confident the other players that I mentioned won’t cost nearly as much and will give us a great shot at the World Series.

It's a no brainer for the Angels to trade Ohtani.  They only get the #72 pick if Ohtani leaves in free agency.  It's questionable if Moreno will allow a trade if the Angels are anywhere near a wild card spot.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Bowden suggests Povich and Wagner for Montgomery.

https://theathletic.com/4704246/2023/07/20/mlb-trade-rumors-contending-teams/?source=user_shared_article

The Orioles are committed to trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline, but they’re also committed to not trading any of their top prospects, including Jackson Holliday, Colton Cowser, Jordan Westburg, Heston Kjerstad, Joey Ortiz, Coby Mayo, Samuel Basallo or even DL Hall. However, their farm system is so deep, a deal could still get done for a pitcher such as Montgomery, perhaps with a package of something like lefty Cade Povich and third baseman Max Wagner. Povich, 23, has an eye-popping 115 strikeouts in 76 1/3 innings this season in Double A, with a 4.83 ERA in 17 starts. Wagner, 21, has hit .240/.374/.409 with 10 doubles, nine homers and 23 stolen bases in 69 games in High A.

I think Povich/McDermott (and maybe Johnson) is rated higher by Elias than Hall.  I can see a Hall/Wagner deal for Montgomery though.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It's a no brainer for the Angels to trade Ohtani.  They only get the #72 pick if Ohtani leaves in free agency.  It's questionable if Moreno will allow a trade if the Angels are anywhere near a wild card spot.

It’s clear that the Angels want him back and it’s also clear that he is going to sign a record breaking contract in the offseason, this limiting the amount of suitors in the offseason. The team with the most financial resources who can make the biggest financial offer is out of it now and won’t be buyers. So, that leaves several teams who would be interested in his services (the ones with the most prospects except for the Dodgers) as teams who will view him as a rental. Would the Angels even want to hand over Ohtani to the Dodgers thus in effect nuking their market share?

It’s a very interesting situation for sure. I just have a hard time believing that teams like the Rays, Orioles, Reds, even the Dodgers (who all value their farm systems) being willing to pay the hefty price that some national media outlets are suggesting. When you have a tremendous farm system/this a reasonable chance for a bright future what is the sense in  giving that away for a single shot on goal? Only the Dodgers have the type of financial structure in place where they can mitigate some of the prospect losses through FA. But even then, because big time FAs cost so much, no team (except maybe the Mets?) can afford to have that many at a time. All teams need the employ of young players on lower wage scales.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It certainly looks like Lyles was cheating.

So even if Tork is a bust he's not just saying Lyles is cheating because he's not hitting him, he's saying it because he's apparently cheating. 

So I don't understand your comment that I bolded.

I'd be a bit salty if I SAW an opponent cheating and nothing was done about it.

The O's not resigning Lyles was a bullet missed.  It's bad when you even suck at cheating.