Sunday July 9: Orioles go for sweep in Minnesota heading into the break

SteveA

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Well, I didn't want him there for the same 2 reasons I didn't want him back on the team, both that tie in together. 1) I didn't think he was ready, he was struggling against AAA pitching, and I wanted hit to prove his troubles with the bat were behind him before having him face MLB pitching again and 2) giving the way Hyde plays his favorites, I was afraid that Mountcastle would be one of those, and would get steady at bats even if he wasn't playing well.  Now we still don't know if 1 and/or 2 are going to happen as one at bat can only tell us so much.  But that's why I didn't want him back on the team yet.  As to that specific at bat, it was a key spot the could (and did) contribute to us hopefully putting this game in the win column, and based on how Mountcastle had been hitting I didn't think he was ready.  Glad he was up to the challenge.

Somebody has to go next game (after the All Star break).  It better not be Cowser.  I can hear it now, but he's only hitting .154, in what 13 at bats.  He has a .389 OBP though.  He one upped Gunnar!

• Upvote 1

Remember the game thread on Tuesday with all the posts the season was over?  The Orioles won't finish above 500?  Coswer call up was too late.  This team is resilient if anything.  

Edited by accinfo
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Well, I didn't want him there for the same 2 reasons I didn't want him back on the team, both that tie in together. 1) I didn't think he was ready, he was struggling against AAA pitching, and I wanted hit to prove his troubles with the bat were behind him before having him face MLB pitching again and 2) giving the way Hyde plays his favorites, I was afraid that Mountcastle would be one of those, and would get steady at bats even if he wasn't playing well.  Now we still don't know if 1 and/or 2 are going to happen as one at bat can only tell us so much.  But that's why I didn't want him back on the team yet.  As to that specific at bat, it was a key spot the could (and did) contribute to us hopefully putting this game in the win column, and based on how Mountcastle had been hitting I didn't think he was ready.  Glad he was up to the challenge.

He's been hitting lefties all year, even when he wasn't doing well vs righties.   I think people are just way too down on him.

I think in the next 500 major league at bats, Mountcastle will be better than O'Hearn overall.

• Upvote 1

Just now, accinfo said:

Remember the game thread on Wednesday with all the posts the season was over?  The Orioles won't finish above 500?  Coswer call up was too late.  This team is resilient if anything.  

I remember. Luckily, Cowser has been a huge catalyst with his offensive prowess and has saved our season.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Somebody has to go next game (after the All Star break).  It better not be Cowser.  I can hear it now, but he's only hitting .154, in what 13 at bats.  He has a .389 OBP though.  He one upped Gunnar!

I wonder if they hold on as long as possible trying to keep a 7 man pen. The pen will be fresh on Friday.