2023 1st Round Pick (#17): Enrique Bradfield Jr. - CF - (Jr) Vanderbilt University

3 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

.311 BA at the college level isn't exactly the kind of average that would suggest really good contact skills, or am I wrong? 

Average seems to be the least important thing the Orioles use to evaluate.  He walked more than he struck out.   That’s usually a good sign.   If he hit .380, he’s probably gone inside the top ten.   The Orioles seem to prefer players who have disappointed somewhat statistically but offer athleticism, some good traits, and upside.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

.311 BA at the college level isn't exactly the kind of average that would suggest really good contact skills, or am I wrong? 

I guess that depends on the national average. In the past, no it wouldn’t be a big deal.

OToH, he’s playing in the best conference in the country and one that has some elite pitching, so that has to be taken into account.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Malike said:

He doesn't need to hit HR's. If he is truly one of the elite defensive players he just needs to get on base somehow. Take a look at Kiermaier's OPS+ over 11 years it's 98, he's been worth nearly 35 wins. He was worth 5.5 WAR slashing .246/.331/.410 with an OPS+ of 104.

Let's not kid ourselves that players are only valuable if they can hit the ball a long way. If he truly has elite defense and plate discipline, he'll be extremely valuable.

Thanks for the replies, was just curious. 

I'm a big fan of the pick myself (as an Elias stan or Frobbyite, depending on the terminology you prefer, that's kind of a given, I have seen enough to support any pick they make personally), that question notwithstanding. 

Totally agree with Malike's take above^^. 

I do feel like there is a bit of need actually in this pick...when I saw projections with infielders I thought to myself, a CF is really the one thing our system is a little thin in, and will need in the coming years as Mullins gets more expensive and begins to decline. So happy from that standpoint, too, he brings a profile that we're light on in our system. 

32 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

When I see "good contact skills," I interpret that to mean he doesn't strike out much.   122 times in 896 PA = 13.6%.  For context, here are the college numbers of some of our high profile draftees from the Elias era:

Cowser 12.0%

Norby 13.6%

Rutschman 14.3%

Ortiz 17.1%

Stowers 17.3%

Kjerstad 20.8%

Westburg 22.3%

Beavers 22.8%

Fabian 24.3%

So, Bradfield is definitely down at the low end of things.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I do feel like there is a bit of need actually in this pick...when I saw projections with infielders I thought to myself, a CF is really the one thing our system is a little thin in, and will need in the coming years as Mullins gets more expensive and begins to decline. So happy from that standpoint, too, he brings a profile that we're light on in our system. 

I think it's very likely he was best pick available that happened to align with a need. Several publications had Bradfield going near the back of the top ten, IIRC

We should have a very good idea what this kids future will be one year from now.  Can he get to Bowie by the end of next year?  Can he get on base enough to make use of world class speed?  Does his defensive rating of 80 really show up?  Pretty interesting questions.  

3 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think it's very likely he was best pick available that happened to align with a need. Several publications had Bradfield going near the back of the top ten, IIRC

Oh yeah, totally agreed, I'm not saying that they drafted for need, I just meant that this is a pick where it seems like need and BPA aligned nicely. 

I'm concerned about the swing, and exploitable holes.  I know the O's have all kinds of professional hitting coaches who can try to work on it with him.  But we took a very high draft pick SS a few years ago Cadyn Grenier who needed a swing overhaul and that failed miserably.  Now we are trying it with Dylan Beavers, another very high draft pick needing a swing fix.  So far, not very impressive results at A ball.   Now we'll need to overhaul Bradfield's swing....

Not sure I like the risk in this pick considering who else we may have selected...

Great insight, @Stotle.   Looking at the offensive numbers of the surrounding players, it’s pretty clear to me that the O’s think Bradfield is an elite defender, and by that I don’t mean one of the best college outfielders, but a guy who should be a Gold Glove candidate year in and year out if he can hit enough to be in the lineup.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great insight, @Stotle.   Looking at the offensive numbers of the surrounding players, it’s pretty clear to me that the O’s think Bradfield is an elite defender, and by that I don’t mean one of the best college outfielders, but a guy who should be a Gold Glove candidate year in and year out if he can hit enough to be in the lineup.   

I think that is probably correct. That or they are VERY confident there are straightforward fixes to get him to a little better hard contact. But seems to me the value in the field and on the bases, they feel, is firm foundational value that justifies the risk profile in the pick. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stotle said:

I think that is probably correct. That or they are VERY confident there are straightforward fixes to get him to a little better hard contact. But seems to me the value in the field and on the bases, they feel, is firm foundational value that justifies the risk profile in the pick. 

My problem with valuing baserunning too highly is that the player actually has to be on base for his baserunning skill to be relevant.   See Jorge Mateo.

• Upvote 1