Trade Idea - Pittsburgh Pirates

Answerman

Not to be pessimistic, but let’s make the playoffs before we talk about World Series and underdogs vs braves 

We have no more than a 1% chance to win a WS annually if we don’t spend money in offseasons. 

the rebuild is going great and we shouldn’t jeopardize it for a smaller shot this year. Give young guys Abs, add a decent relief pitcher, and let’s aim for a playoff series win first imo

Not to be pessimistic, but let’s make the playoffs before we talk about World Series and underdogs vs braves 

We have no more than a 1% chance to win a WS annually if we don’t spend money in offseasons. 

the rebuild is going great and we shouldn’t jeopardize it for a smaller shot this year. Give young guys Abs, add a decent relief pitcher, and let’s aim for a playoff series win first imo

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I know that …. I don’t think it’s worth paying a premium for a closer when you don’t need one.

I’d be calling the Tigers about Foley, with or without E Rod. He’s accustomed to the role we’d put him in and won’t cost what a closer would - plus years of control.

No matter how you shake it i think a relief arm is the way to go. I don't think there will be a SP available worthy of the haul we'd have to give up. I'd rather try and make a trade or sign a SP in the offseason.

MLBTR take on Bednar as a trade chip:

Bednar, 28, continues to cement himself as one of the better relievers in the league. He has a 1.27 ERA this year, striking out 29.8% of hitters while walking just 5%, earning 17 saves in the process. Given the volatility of reliever performance, there could be an argument for the Bucs to cash in while his trade value is high, as they can currently market him with three seasons of control beyond this one. However, Bednar’s a fan favorite, having been born in Pittsburgh and raised in the area. Since the club has shown flashes that suggest the rebuild won’t go on for much longer, it seems unlikely they would consider moving a key piece like Bednar. As with Keller, other teams will still surely try, but he’s likely staying put.

3 hours ago, purplepittabread88 said:

I'm sorry, what did you say?

3 hours ago, purplepittabread88 said:

Thanks.

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

But they’ll change their mind when Elias offers them Stowers and Norby!

I don’t think it makes sense to try. Norby is a top 100 and Stowers is at least a decent prospect. If that’s not enough you simply don’t do it. The article points out selling high due to reliever volatility. Probably good advice. 

find a mid priced guy or stand Pat. 

Okay...as the OP I am calling this meeting to order. We have heard great arguments for and against this trade. We will assume Pittsburgh has called and offered Bednar for the exact package of Norby, Stowers and Willems. 

Are you making the trade or not? I say yeah. 

What say ye? 

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think it makes sense to try. Norby is a top 100 and Stowers is at least a decent prospect. If that’s not enough you simply don’t do it. The article points out selling high due to reliever volatility. Probably good advice. 

find a mid priced guy or stand Pat. 

Totally agree with this take.

One other way to get a trade done is to find the motivated seller that wants to move salary off the books.  Everyone talks like every player will have suitors despite a big contract, but I don't think that's true at all, particularly if a gamble on 2024 is required.  Goldschmidt, for example, is still a good hitter, but how many teams need another player at the right end of the defensive spectrum who is 35, just an average fielding 1B, and with about $35M left on his contract through the end of 2024?

Said otherwise, if the Orioles can't find a taker for Anthony Santander (OPS+ of 133, age 28, $7.4M, 1 more year of Arb), why would Goldschmit (OPS of 130+, age 35, $22M prorated for 2023 and another $26M in 2024) be widely sought after?

8 hours ago, Answerman said:

Okay...as the OP I am calling this meeting to order. We have heard great arguments for and against this trade. We will assume Pittsburgh has called and offered Bednar for the exact package of Norby, Stowers and Willems. 

Are you making the trade or not? I say yeah. 

What say ye? 

I don’t think the Pirates are making that deal . Someone mentioned San Fran looking for up the middle infield help.  They have Alexander, Beck, Rogers,  and Rogers. Ortiz/Norby (maybe both)is a starter for a deal where maybe we can grab 2 of them.

On 7/12/2023 at 6:22 PM, Moose Milligan said:

This probably would be better served in the specific grade idea thread. 

Wanted to get to it before @Can_of_corncould get all in his feelers about it. 

I needed this lol first thing in the morning. I’m only 1 page deep in this thread. Why just shoot for Bednar?  Why not Bednar and Keller?

Norby is not on the BA top 100 post-draft. Very strong showing for Basallo, though. Him and Ortiz are probably our “top 100 trade chips,” although I still wouldn’t trade either for Bednar or anything other than in a deal for a SP with multiple years of control. They may not be a fit here long term but there’s no need to move them yet, and their value may only increase.

Would definitely trade Norby for a quality RP, but not a 0.5 yr rental. Norby + any non top-100 prospects for a RP as good as and with the amount of team control as Bednar would be a no-brainer. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I needed this lol first thing in the morning. I’m only 1 page deep in this thread. Why just shoot for Bednar?  Why not Bednar and Keller?

Why would the Pirates, a team that seems to be on the upswing a bit from prior seasons, even entertain trading youngish players who are under team control like Keller and Bednar? Even if they do nothing this offseason they'll be better next season because they'll have Cruz back. I see way too many of these hypothetical trade scenarios where the poster doesn't ask himself "why would the other team do this?" before he/she starts a new thread or hits "submit reply". 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...