Cardinals are open for business

Sports Guy

I know he's in his late 30's, but Goldschmidt is someone a playoff caliber team acquires at the deadline.  I don't see it costing much, because I'm sure that the Cardinals want to see what they have behind him in Juan Yepez and such.

St. Louis has the positional depth and they may even take Mountcastle in the deal to see what they could do with him as well.

7 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

I know he's in his late 30's, but Goldschmidt is someone a playoff caliber team acquires at the deadline.  I don't see it costing much, because I'm sure that the Cardinals want to see what they have behind him in Juan Yepez and such.

St. Louis has the positional depth and they may even take Mountcastle in the deal to see what they could do with him as well.

Except the Orioles probably won’t want to assume the $13 million or so in prorated money and the $26 million for 2024. Zero chance the Orioles sign up for that. 

14 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Just like every other time this topic has come up.

He very probably has a no trade clause.  What are you willing to give him to get him to waive it?

Another season?  Two more?

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He very probably has a no trade clause.  What are you willing to give him to get him to waive it?

Doesn’t matter they probably wouldn’t take on the money for this year. There is no way Peter, I mean John will agree to take on 26 for next.

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree and Goldschmidt could lockdown 1B the next couple years while Elias decides which prospect currently at another position shifts over to 1B.

I think that’s Mayo and Kjerstad starting in April probably. I wouldn’t mind having Goldschmidt for an extra year as a (much better) Frazier-like floor candidate.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

A restructured deal, allowing him to become a free agent after this season?

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

A restructured deal, allowing him to become a free agent after this season?

So he's going to give the Orioles what they would prefer?

I think it is very unlikely that a guy wants to give up a 1/26 guarantee going into his age 36 season.  I think getting guaranteed money into his age 37 and 38 seasons is much more likely a request.

Has a 1B ever averaged ended up with a big money multi-year deal at 36?  Cruz got a 4 year deal at 34 but for no where near 26/yr.

10 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The Cardinals have quite a lot of position player depth and are really just looking for controllable starting pitching, so not a great match for us. We can of course afford to trade Kremer/Irvin but they’re not going to fetch much, if the Cards are even interested. 

I think we can be a trade partner because only Nolan Gorman and Mason Wynn are young position players in the MLB or AAA.  None in AA.  I agree that they would like to get some SPs back in the deal though (that's pretty much universal).  But they do have a few SPs in the minors (Liberatore, Hence, Hjerpe).  If Fangraphs rankings on the Roster Resource page isn't too stale, then 4 of their AAA starters are ranked in the top 11 in the org.  It's worth having the conversation.

Hicks would be a good get.  

DeJong has had a nice bounce back year and is on a 2.5-3 fWAR pace but obviously he isn’t someone to look at now.

Edman is the same thing. Good glove but no place for us.

Goldy is obviously a stud and would be a nice get. It would depend on what we would have to give up to get him.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So he's going to give the Orioles what they would prefer?

I think it is very unlikely that a guy wants to give up a 1/26 guarantee going into his age 36 season.  I think getting guaranteed money into his age 37 and 38 seasons is much more likely a request.

Has a 1B ever averaged ended up with a big money multi-year deal at 36?  Cruz got a 4 year deal at 34 but for no where near 26/yr.

Looks like Jose Abreu would be a recent comp. 3 year/ $58 million at 36 yo