What is the deadline to sign draft picks?

Each club has until 5 p.m. ET on Tuesday, July 25, to come to terms with its Draft selections. If a player has exhausted his collegiate eligibility, he can sign at any time up until one week prior to the next year's Draft. Clubs have not confirmed the reported bonuses below unless otherwise noted.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-draft-signing-and-bonus-tracker#:~:text=Each club has until 5,to the next year's Draft.&text=Clubs have not confirmed the reported bonuses below unless otherwise noted.

I read July 25th at 5pm is the deadline to sign our draft picks.  We only get 8 days to sign all our picks.  Why so short time to sign our players.  One team already signed 11 picks 

37 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Each club has until 5 p.m. ET on Tuesday, July 25, to come to terms with its Draft selections. If a player has exhausted his collegiate eligibility, he can sign at any time up until one week prior to the next year's Draft. Clubs have not confirmed the reported bonuses below unless otherwise noted.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-draft-signing-and-bonus-tracker#:~:text=Each club has until 5,to the next year's Draft.&text=Clubs have not confirmed the reported bonuses below unless otherwise noted.

I read July 25th at 5pm is the deadline to sign our draft picks.  We only get 8 days to sign all our picks.  Why so short time to sign our players.  One team already signed 11 picks 

It wouldn't surprise me if they already signed several guys and just haven't announced it since the Orioles front office likes to pretend they're the NSA. "That's classified". 

2 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they already signed several guys and just haven't announced it since the Orioles front office likes to pretend they're the NSA. "That's classified". 

That, or publicly posting how much of your draft budget you've spent lowers your leverage in negotiations with your unsigned picks, as they know exactly how much money they can demand from you.

• Upvote 1

I definitely prefer the earlier date of the draft.  I understand why they made it later in the summer, but draftees lose a month of minor league time with this setup.  It was also cool to be able to watch the CWS and sometimes see O's draftees playing.

• Upvote 2