Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are plenty of rental starters out there that can eat innings that won’t cost much to acquire.

I've been of the opinion that innings eaters were what they wanted, to make the bullpen management easier. 

However, I haven't yet found a good candidate that's an innings eater.  Can you provide a name or two?  I've struggled to find them. 

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because they have a lot of pitching and need young hitters that are cost controlled…similar to Seattle.

I did read the Marlins are definitely looking to add a SP because theirs have underperformed.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I wouldn’t shut either guy down unless their performance showed signs of fatigue or ineffectiveness.     Seems silly to me especially when making a playoff push.  Going to shut down perfectly fine starting pitchers and then go out and trade for the replacement based on no evidence to support doing just that.  Crazy!

Well they've already given Eury a "break". I can't imagine them handling Luzardo any differently. Managing innings for young SPs is pretty common in this day and age. It's all about protecting the arm and their investment. If they acquire another vet SP they can probably do that by going with a six man rotation for a bit. For what it's worth the Orioles are going to be in the same boat with three of their SPs as well. Elias mentioned it today and expressed concern. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There are plenty of rental starters out there that can eat innings that won’t cost much to acquire.

My point is your playing both sides. Trading a young SP AND acquiring a vet starter now accomplishes nothing for the Marlins. If they want to explore trading one of their young arms it won't be until the offseason. 

Also, I don't seen reason why Seattle would trade Woo or Miller. There hasn't even been a hint of a rumor suggesting either were on the trading block and I think they'll do whatever they can to keep their core of Gilbert, Kirby, Wood and Miller intact. They can sign FAs to fill holes on offense. 

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Well they've already given Eury a "break". I can't imagine them handling Luzardo any differently. Managing innings for young SPs is pretty common in this day and age. It's all about protecting the arm and their investment. If they acquire another vet SP they can probably do that by going with a six man rotation for a bit. For what it's worth the Orioles are going to be in the same boat with three of their SPs as well. Elias mentioned it today and expressed concern. 

He also said there is nothing that proves that limiting innings prevents injury any better than just letting them take there normal turn.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

My point is your playing both sides. Trading a young SP AND acquiring a vet starter now accomplishes nothing for the Marlins. If they want to explore trading one of their young arms it won't be until the offseason. 

Also, I don't seen reason why Seattle would trade Woo or Miller. There hasn't even been a hint of a rumor suggesting either were on the trading block and I think they'll do whatever they can to keep their core of Gilbert, Kirby, Wood and Miller intact. They can sign FAs to fill holes on offense. 

It absolutely accomplishes something. They add to the offense while also bringing in a pitcher that is perhaps “more of a sure thing”.

There have absolutely been rumors about Seattle looking to move a starter for a young bat.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He also said there is nothing that proves that limiting innings prevents injury any better than just letting them take there normal turn.

I also believe this. I am, however, unsure if pitching a lot more innings than you ever had would lead to just plain old ineffectiveness due to stamina issues.

48 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

If this is accurate then the chances of Holiday being the SS when he comes up is remote.  More likely second and Gunnar at third.  Wonder what we do with Westburg and others.  We have an amazing hitting third in AAA right now.  This infield is packed.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Since you guys are talking about this, I'm reminded of an interview that was done with Sig. On the subject of why pitchers are managed differently these days than 20+ years ago, they asked him, "Why are some pitchers like Nolan Ryan able to go out and throw so many innings start to finish and still throw 100 MPH without getting injured?"

Sig basically said he didn't know and that it wasn't a science. 

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

If this is accurate then the chances of Holiday being the SS when he comes up is remote.  More likely second and Gunnar at third.  Wonder what we do with Westburg and others.  We have an amazing hitting third in AAA right now.  This infield is packed.  

Holliday is a couple years away. There’s time to sort things out.

I think Ortiz would be shopped if he wasnt mashing in AAA.  If he was just hitting .270 with limited power like lots of old school SS then I think he would be shopped.  

The fact it seems the kid can actually hit is making the Orioles think maybe we like him in our team more than traded.  

There is shocking amount of talent just in AAA.   I dont know what to do with it all either.  

If Ortiz could hit 12-18 homeruns and play GG caliber defense?  This is a valuable asset.  Not just a throw in for a rental player.  In my unprofessional opinion.  

Maybe we just try to get a better bullpen and call it a day.  This getting a starter might be too rich for my blood.  I dont even want to trade Basallo.    I must have the mental makeup (minus the genius) of Sig.  I like keeping most of my prospects.    I think we have proven we know how to draft them and develop them.  Now we need to play them  by trading away any vets that are blocking our rookies paths.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Why do we want Cabrera?

That's actually a good question. By stats alone, he's been inferior so far in his career to Bradish. He's got tons of upside, but who knows if he's the 2022 guy that pitched to a 3.01 ERA / 1.07 WHIP (albeit in only 71.2 IP) or the 2023 guy that's rocking a 4.74 ERA / 1.42 WHIP.

I was just answering the questions about Westburg for ECab which is a trade I wouldn't do. I believe that 6 years of Westy is more valuable than 3+ years of an ECab that might end up being 4.00 ERA / 1.3 WHIP guy over his career.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I also believe this. I am, however, unsure if pitching a lot more innings than you ever had would lead to just plain old ineffectiveness due to stamina issues.

Another thing to consider is that data available up until this season doesn't include the impact of the pitch clock.  I've heard more than one person voice concern about how much endurance is required to pitch 6 innings without any real breaks between pitches. 

Is this a valid concern?  Don't know.  But the data that Sig and others are using might not have that factored in yet.