If Elias does very little at the deadline...

Greg Pappas

25 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I really wouldn't mind someone like Lynn. Yeah, he's been bad. But I don't think he's as bad as he's been. His peripherals are better, and even if he's like a 5.00 ERA guy, couldn't he pitch to a 4.00 ERA the rest of the way to "regress" to his periperhals/career #'s? 

It's like an anti Gerardo Parra trade. He has a 140 OPS+ with Milwaukee, so of course he hits to a 69 OPS+ to us to regress back to his career mediocrity.

Of course a Scherzer, Cease, Burnes type would be nice. But I can also the help in just getting another body and eventually transitioning Wells to the bullpen. 

I mean Lynn would have been fine a month ago where we have time to evaluate and fix him. I just don't think fixer uppers are a good idea for the playoff and world series push.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Interesting read and makes sense of why we see so much senseless hoarding of prospects we can never dream to play. It's not Elias; It's Sig. 

Don't expect anything but for them to sit on their hands. 

https://ibb.co/6WqcJZq

That was one of my sharpest takeaways from Drellich's book.    They were lucky the waivers bonus period existed that year, and they were enough of a destination darling Verlander wanted to go there.    I still don't understand why the rest of the league let him through.

Clubhouse leader Dallas Keuchel openly rebuked the Astros front office in the aftermath of the July 31 trade deadline that year.     We'll see if Kyle Gibson has any thoughts come Wednesday.

Edited by Just Regular

I'll probably be in the minority here (what else is new), but I absolutely don't believe that Elias is a slave to whatever Sig wants. John Angelos? Sure, I'll buy that. If they don't make any trades at the deadline and the team has a nice run to finish off the season and makes the playoffs a year earlier than everyone thought they would, I'd expect Elias to do some things in the off-season to augment what we have on the field already.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'll probably be in the minority here (what else is new), but I absolutely don't believe that Elias is a slave to whatever Sig wants. John Angelos? Sure, I'll buy that. If they don't make any trades at the deadline and the team has a nice run to finish off the season and makes the playoffs a year earlier than everyone thought they would, I'd expect Elias to do some things in the off-season to augment what we have on the field already.

I agree in that any significant moves are to be made in the off season.

Moves will be made prior to, or even after the deadline, but they will be like the Fuji acquisition.

Are you guys kidding me? We haven’t won it all in 40 years, had to go through 5 miserable seasons, and we are leading the AL East, arguably the best division in baseball year in and year out. You think NY or Boston are going to just sit on their hands in the offseason?  We may be competitive in the coming years by holding onto our young talent but there’s no assurance we will make the playoffs let alone be the #1 seed with a bye in the first round of the playoffs. 

If Elias doesn’t make a move, I will be highly disappointed and frustrated. At the same time, I understand the ownership issue may prevent certain moves that can be made. 

On a side note, I grew up in the Rockville MD area but have lived in Philly for the last 20 years. I was at the game last night and while there were a lot of Os fans, Philly is drawing a lot at Citizens Bank after going to the Series last year.  They have the 4th highest payroll I believe and are talking about being buyers possibly Soto if the Padres are selling. It’s a shame as a small market team, we can’t be real buyers this year. 

They'll pick up a reliever or two and hope that Grayson, Irvin, and possibly even Means provide better pitching than from what in the Orioles context are deemed the overpriced, unaffordable, or rental-only starting pitchers available from other teams. With that i wdn't be disappointed because it's what I generally expect.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s funny..Rosenthal listed Elias as one of his execs under a lot of pressure this deadline.

Im not seeing that at all. I think you would be hard pressed to find a GM with less pressure on him than Elias.

If the Orioles were to be stupid enough to fire Elias he would get another GM job in ten minutes assuming no Steve Phillips like scandal. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s funny..Rosenthal listed Elias as one of his execs under a lot of pressure this deadline.

Im not seeing that at all. I think you would be hard pressed to find a GM with less pressure on him than Elias.

I think more pressure from the fans to get it right versus ownership pressure etc…. This and next year, Elias is going to have to make a lot of decisions on players in terms of who to keep and who to make room for.  I am sure that’s stressful.  But his job is probably safer than anyone’s. 

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Rosenthal is a vindictive moron.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

That was one of my sharpest takeaways from Drellich's book.    They were lucky the waivers bonus period existed that year, and they were enough of a destination darling Verlander wanted to go there.    I still don't understand why the rest of the league let him through.

Clubhouse leader Dallas Keuchel openly rebuked the Astros front office in the aftermath of the July 31 trade deadline that year.     We'll see if Kyle Gibson has any thoughts come Wednesday.

Why was Keuchel mad?  Did he lose his rotation spot?