Why isn't Ortiz in Baltimore instead of Mateo?

Greg Pappas

I dont think anyone disagrees with you. Not saying its a case of "dont want to lose a player(Mateo) for nothing" but its starting to look like the case. You'd wish someone would give up one of those 20-30 ranked lottery ticket prospects for middle infield help

• Upvote 1

1. Clubhouse reasons.  Mateo is well-liked and has been an important part of the team. He has had slumps before and may be playing a bit hurt.  You can hurt morale when you push a guy like that out.

2.  They want Ortiz to play every day. He wouldn’t up with the Orioles and that could stunt development 

3. They want to showcase Ortiz for other teams. 

if he isn’t traded, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ortiz after the deadline if Mateo continues to struggle. 

• Upvote 3

O's are into a game of attrition.    They have already lost two CF.   Gunnar has a reoccurring  back problem.   He will probably be back as soon as tonight but for how long?     DFA  Mateo is probably not the smart move at this point.   Ortiz probably gets his chance before seasons end.

Mateo is currently platooning vs lefty pitchers.  Is a defensive replacement and a pinch runner.   That is a good role for him considering his number vs lefties.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

I’m not going to give the front office cover by inventing reasons why Ortiz might still be in Norfolk. But consider this: Westburg had 700 plate appearances in Norfolk before being called up a few weeks ago. Joey is right at 350 in Norfolk, so halfway to Jordan’s PAs. Meaning that if Joey is on the Westburg trajectory, we’ll be seeing him brought up for good around this time next year at age 26. Only in baseball is it somehow acceptable that elite athletes spend the prime of their careers on practice squads for who knows what reason.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

1. Clubhouse reasons.  Mateo is well-liked and has been an important part of the team. He has had slumps before and may be playing a bit hurt.  You can hurt morale when you push a guy like that out.

2.  They want Ortiz to play every day. He wouldn’t up with the Orioles and that could stunt development 

3. They want to showcase Ortiz for other teams. 

if he isn’t traded, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ortiz after the deadline if Mateo continues to struggle. 

Note: Trading Ortiz means having to spend money to replace Frazier next year, which means less $ towards pitching. Unless we're going in with Mateo again next. Not sure why people are always throwing Ortiz into every trade offer he is a vital to the team until Holliday is ready and also will be vital to make sure Holliday isn't rushed.

I think the sane reason Mounty was put back into the lineup immediately after his horrible AAA rehab... to build value before the trade deadline. Or at least to know if they can produce before trading away other pieces. As you said, otherwise it make no sense. 

Mateo is the big roster beneficiary of the O's success. If the O's go into a slump than management will be forced to actually put the best players possible on the 26 man roster and Mateo will be cut and Ortiz promoted. Elias/Hyde are playing a dangerous game of don't make improvements while the team is winning. If we end up losing the division by a few games, many people will remind them that they handcuffed the roster for months.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

I think the sane reason Mounty was put back into the lineup immediately after his horrible AAA rehab... to build value before the trade deadline. Or at least to know if they can produce before trading away other pieces. As you said, otherwise it make no sense. 

Yea nothing builds trade value like showing other teams that you think Mateo is a better option for your playoff team.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Elias has a habit of short rehab periods.  Results don't matter to him during rehab.  Just health.

I think Elias/Hyde see Mountcastle as a core player for the team.  He has been core for a couple of years.   And now that he is hitting most lefties the team needs players that can hit lefties.  

With O'Hearn used mostly vs righties there is an opening for Mountcastle.   I don't think trading Mountcastle plays into it at the moment.    But it might went Mayo is ready for the majors.

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias has a habit of short rehab periods.  Results don't matter to him during rehab.  Just health.

I think Elias/Hyde see Mountcastle as a core player for the team.  He has been core for a couple of years.   And now that he is hitting most lefties they team needs players that can hit lefties.  

With O'Hearn used most vs righties there is an opening for Mountcastle.   I don't think trading Mountcastle plays into it at the moment.    But it might went Mayo is ready for the majors.

Yeah... I was thinking we may entertain bringing on Goldschmidt who has another year until Mayo is ready and use our 1b resources to get some pitching.. but that would break up the clubhouse somewhat, how important do you think Elias considers that?