Manny Machado

Ginger

10 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Big miss there: imagine the 1-2 punch of Manny and Chris Davis for another five years.

This was never an outcome that could come to be. 

Extending Manny became absolutely impossible because we gave Chris Davis that ridiculous contract.  If the team had decided that they were going to gather enough money to make a run at signing Manny, Chris Davis would have walked. 

Edited by Morgan423
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Extending Manny became absolutely impossible because we gave Chris Davis that ridiculous contract.  If the team had decided that they were going to gather enough money to make a run at signing Manny, Chris Davis would have walked. 

Sorry. I was kidding -- trying to make the point in a different way that surrounding Manny with the rest of that 2018-2021 team would have been pretty pointless.  

But, you know, it's possible, though unlikely, that if he had a lot less to spend PA would have signed Davis for a lot less since nobody else seemed too interested in him. 

Edited by spiritof66

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

This Chris Davis debacle is probably Peter Angelos' legacy. It really handcuffed this franchise for years. Luckily they seem to have begun a recovery.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Luckily they seem to have begun a recovery.

Little bit, yes.

I admit if Gunnar is a SS and Mayo is a 1B, I kind of just want to know who is Milt Pappas so he can be the Frobby, next generation, guy.    He'll help Colton Cowser not to hit too polite.

As always the trade transaction transforms his future compensation to something more sensible.    For the market we're in.

It won't happen but I could live with being in one of the universes where Jackson Holliday is traded for Soto, Machado, Hader, Snell and $100 million dollars.   

I do think sometime in the next 3 days to 3 years Mike Elias is going to make what Billy Beane characterized to an admiring Michael Lewis as a "bleepin' A" trade.

3 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Also, how different is out team today had we signed Manny to a huge contract?

Would we, in hindsight, want to find out?

I would have rather paid Manny than paying Chris Davis. There was always something peculiar about Chris's failed drug tests and suspension to me, long before his batting woes ever started showing up. For me that was a big red flag.

I like Manny Machado and I look back fondly at his time in an Orioles uniform. I don't care what anybody else thinks. Manny was and is a great player.

• Upvote 1