Kevin Brown

Srey

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The whole game last night I'm thinking "I really like Gregg Olson the person, but these guys aren't even half as good as Brown and McDonald."

I really like Olson.  If he were to become the second color guy whenever Palmer retires, I’d be pretty pleased.   

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

All MASN equipment is destroyed and can't be replaced from China until 2025 and the only way to "enjoy" games is listening to play by play with Melanie Newman or Vieira is the O's closer for the rest of the year.

Let’s see what Vieira can do.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The whole game last night I'm thinking "I really like Gregg Olson the person, but these guys aren't even half as good as Brown and McDonald."

I could understand KB not being someone’s favorite PBP guy, but the disdain some have for him is REALLY odd to me. Any time I listen to just about any other team’s broadcast, I can’t help but think about how lucky we are to have KB/Macdonals/Palmer 

• Upvote 4

Arnold is alright at times, but other times not. Yesterday he mentioned Rafeala taking hits away from Mullins, but he didn't really. Making a running catch is not taking a hit away. Making a great diving catch or robbing a HR is taking hits away.

Maybe it's nitpicky, but the details matter I think.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wagner and Olson are a better pairing than Arnold and Olson. last night had some pretty lame chat, but they are both still preferable to Brown.

Brown just doesn't have a good voice. he doesn't modulate well. regardless of what he's saying or how he's feeling, it all sounds the same. What he says is usually ok but theres an enormous amount of useless blather, so his problem is what he says as well as his voice.

Wagner has a slightly lower voice and much more vocal variety and is far more interesting to hear( but nobody compares with Angel and Thorne.)

try this experiment: imagine all these guys just reading a page from the phone book, which voice is more engaging?

Mcdonald has the best fundamental voice, but he has some speech habits I find annoying. he's like Neil Diamond, who has a great voice, but has yet to say anything I want to hear.

Brown and Newman have the worst voices. They just aren't interesting. like listening to Siri.

But if you like him, that’s fine. I’ve explained why I don’t and will always want a change.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wagner and Olson are a better pairing than Arnold and Olson. last night had some pretty lame chat, but they are both still preferable to Brown.

Brown just doesn't have a good voice. he doesn't modulate well. regardless of what he's saying or how he's feeling, it all sounds the same. What he says is usually ok but theres an enormous amount of useless blather, so his problem is what he says as well as his voice.

Wagner has a slightly lower voice and much more vocal variety and is far more interesting to hear( but nobody compares with Angel and Thorne.)

try this experiment: imagine all these guys just reading a page from the phone book, which voice is more engaging?

Mcdonald has the best fundamental voice, but he has some speech habits I find annoying. he's like Neil Diamond, who has a great voice, but has yet to say anything I want to hear.

Brown and Newman have the worst voices. They just aren't interesting. like listening to Siri.

But if you like him, that’s fine. I’ve explained why I don’t and will always want a change.

This might be the first time I’ve ever heard someone criticize Brown for his voice. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Philip said:

The problem is that Wagner has never been paired with Olson.  Only Arnold has for these last few games.  Per last night Olsen doesn’t know when he will be back.  Wagner has been doing the radio with Brett Hollander.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, dystopia said:

This might be the first time I’ve ever heard someone criticize Brown for his voice. 

It’s not the first time I’ve criticized but listen to him. Imagine him on TV selling you a car,or insurance, or something, it’s just not a compelling voice.

Think about the guys who had great voices: Richard Burton, Gregory Peck,Alistair Cook, Morgan Freeman and so on.

those guys had fundamentally expressive voices. Even if they were saying nothing except counting numbers, the voice itself encouraged focused listening.

Most folks don’t remember Karl Haas, who had a classical music radio program for decades, he had an incredible voice.

Brown doesn’t.

But as I’ve made clear, I’ve made my point, and defended it, there’s no particular reason to rehash everything again.

if you like him that’s fine.

Edited by Philip

51 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Brown's voice isn't bad.  But Phil listens to opera a lot and I'm pretty sure he wears a beret so consider the source.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

i like Olson a lot but he's not as good as McDonald.

I have a soft spot for The Otter — loved to watch him throw that curveball — but yeah, Big Ben, for me, is one of the more informative and entertaining color guys in the biz. 

I love Ben but I actually think Olson says more interesting stuff. Ben tends to really repeat himself. Olson has a little more to say about what he sees IMO. It's a shame we don't get more of him, but maybe we will if Palmer decides to hang it up at some point. 

Kevin, to me, is just a parody of what a  play by play guy sounds like.

Very inauthentic but better than some.

I like the honesty of Olson and  enjoy Wagner and  Arnold's not over the top broadcasting.

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s not the first time I’ve criticized but listen to him. Imagine him on TV selling you a car,or insurance, or something, it’s just not a compelling voice.

Think about the guys who had great voices: Richard Burton, Gregory Peck,Alistair Cook, Morgan Freeman and so on.

those guys had fundamentally expressive voices. Even if they were saying nothing except counting numbers, the voice itself encouraged focused listening.

Most folks don’t remember Karl Haas, who had a classical music radio program for decades, he had an incredible voice.

Brown doesn’t.

But as I’ve made clear, I’ve made my point, and defended it, there’s no particular reason to rehash everything again.

if you like him that’s fine.

I'm sorry that our PBP guy doesn't have Morgan Freeman's iconic voice. Damn him for not being Morgan Freeman.

Incredible.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, catseyepub said:

Kevin, to me, is just a parody of what a  play by play guy sounds like.

Very inauthentic but better than some.

I like the honesty of Olson and  enjoy Wagner and  Arnold's not over the top broadcasting.

I haven't heard Wagner call a full game, but listening to his highlights I have the opposite impression. I think he is very "announcer-y" in his vocal register and cadence, and always seems to be using cliches like calling home plate "the dish." Kevin Brown's wordplay is often pretty strained, but it's usually original and he sounds like a person might talk.