Kevin Brown

Srey

On 4/27/2024 at 12:55 PM, jabba72 said:

I actually miss Jim Hunter. His voice was just smooth and he didnt get overly tacky or corny like Brown occasionally will. Hunter could be a cheerleader at times but never felt nauseated by it like I would with Bordick. Hunter was underrated.

I'm sorry this post was downvoted by three people. While I don't agree with you, an opinion does not deserve to be downvoted.

I'll be honest, every time I turn on the radio and listen to Newman say "highball" or "skyball" or not describe the action until long after the crowd told you what happened, does make me wish a bit he was still on radio. 

For all of Hunter's over the top "cheerleading" and statements like "Two-game hitting streak", he was very good at calling the action on the field.

As for Brown, while he can be a little over the top in his story telling in times when the game at hand should be the focus due to the situation, he's a very good announcer in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

On 5/2/2024 at 5:53 PM, Just Regular said:

I thought his pop culture knowledge made a nice moment today when Palmer said that Mr. Splash bobblehead was one of the best ones of the Splash people, and Kevin pretty smoothly went to something like, "Do you mean like Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah?", wondering who other Splash people are.    Older person Palmer seemed glad a younger person knew something more from his era.

And maybe good judgment after the Mateo HBP just moving on when Palmer said in baseball that's what they call a toe job.

One of Browns strengths is his knowledge and quips are not limited to his generation. His baseball knowledge is very good and he clearly does his homework prior to games. But to your point here, he can do pop culture from previous generations too, which helps him connect with us 50+ folks. 

8 hours ago, Malike said:

This was a great line last night.

Ha, that is fantastic. If Rubenstein wants to bring in young viewers, Brown could help. It's been a while since he has engaged with Orioles reddit on the air though. 

I think Ben must need Kevin.  Ben and Melanie (no surprise there) seemed to have no clue that the Orioles lost the DH once Rutschman replaced McCann as catcher after O’Hearn PH for McCann.   Kjerstad was actually PH for Albert Suarez but no mention of it.  As soon as that happened Suarez was out of the game but Ben didn’t realize it.

She called Rustchman, Santander in the first inning when Adley bounced into a double play.

She called McCann, Rustchman when McCann attempted to throw out a baserunner.

She also said it would be nice if Webb could get a double play in that last inning, when there was a runner on 2nd with 1 out.

She is a nice sideline reporter but as for play by play, she is horrible. We need KB.

1 hour ago, Matty2D said:

She called Rustchman, Santander in the first inning when Adley bounced into a double play.

She called McCann, Rustchman when McCann attempted to throw out a baserunner.

She also said it would be nice if Webb could get a double play in that last inning, when there was a runner on 2nd with 1 out.

She is a nice sideline reporter but as for play by play, she is horrible. We need KB.

Haha.  I did catch that DP comment with a man on second.   I like her but it’s like they took someone who never watched a game and said “no problem, it’s easy, we’ll teach you”.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  I did catch that DP comment with a man on second.   I like her but it’s like they took someone who never watched a game and said “no problem, it’s easy, we’ll teach you”.

I was thinking the same thing last night.  It's almost like she's never watched baseball before and knows nothing about the game.  Her voice gets very excited during a routine pop up, and then she delivers a monotone poorly timed inaccurate description of a run scoring play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 9:11 AM, Otter said:

I was thinking the same thing last night.  It's almost like she's never watched baseball before and knows nothing about the game.  Her voice gets very excited during a routine pop up, and then she delivers a monotone poorly timed inaccurate description of a run scoring play.

She’s horrible. It’s not quite as bad doing TV because I can see the action myself. She was on TV. Bearish was pitching and threw a FB right down the middle. Dead center in the zone box. She goes “Bradish paints that one.”  I immediately muted the sound.

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I mean, if you hate fun, I can totally see why Kevin Brown would rub you the wrong way.

Also if you hate competent play by play.. KB must be like nails on a chalkboard in that regard.

If you call fun his musings on Star Wars, dance partners, movies and Ben’s inadequacy in literacy-sometimes during game action-fun, then yeah sure. Baseball is fun to me. I like Brown’s voice and when he’s edifying in regards to newer stats, but his “schtick” to sound relevant is tiresome. 

Stick to the game, it’s interesting enough. 

Edit: And now Sour Patch Kids!

Edited by Il BuonO
  • Thanks 1