Jack Flaherty acquired for Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom, and Zach Showalter

ChuckS

14 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I hate Showalter being included. 10yrs ago we traded a 19y.o. Josh Hader (who had very similar numbers to Showalter at the time in Delmarva) along with LJ Hoes for mediocre Bud Norris. This feels like that

Sure…but there are literally hundreds of players just like Showalter that have been traded over the years that have become nothing.

I would have rather kept him too but I’m not going to stand Pat and draw the line at Zack Showalter.  

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Also true.  Is our front office so lean that it can't work on two trades at the same time?  

It was a seller's market. I feel like getting Flaherty for the cost was a solid move. Fujinami was a good move. We still need more pitching but there wasn't an awful lot out there that would have moved the needle. 

21 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Feels like people are seriously underestimating what it takes to acquire a good starting pitcher even for a rental. Prieto and Rom had little future here, I am totally pleased to acquire a genuine contributor to our postseason push / postseason for two players who it's quite unlikely we'll miss. 

This is nothing like when we traded top 10 prospects like Davies for Parra or Eduardo Rodríguez (top 5) for Andrew Miller (I know Miller was a good acquisition, but I wasn't a fan of that trade for a rental, still). 

We've traded a top 20 prospect and a borderline top 30. Approve of this trade and like it. 

You get what you pay for.  

1 minute ago, O's84 said:

We shouldn't be dealing with hopes.  Go get another arm for the pen and then, if Wells and Hall work out, then that's a luxury.  

I don't know what you mean, hopes? Wells is certainly going to be in the pen for the O's down the stretch. Hyde just said that's the plan on the pregame show.

• Upvote 1

Just now, forphase1 said:

Don't love that we traded two pieces from an already short on talent pitching prospects depth.  Would have rather only traded position players really.   

Rom is completely meaningless. He is nothing more than organization filler.

You can pick up 5 Drew Roms every offseason for nothing.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Don't love that we traded two pieces from an already short on talent pitching prospects depth.  Would have rather only traded position players really.   

Rom was a candidate for DFA this year. Showalter is 19 and years away  from helping the team. I don't think Elias traded away a pitcher that would likely help the club in the next 4 - 5 years.

• Upvote 1