Enrique Bradfield 2023

Jagwar

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bradfield, Horvath and Etzel is being promoted to Aberdeen. Very aggressive move by Elias.

Not really.  There’s one week left in Aberdeen’s season.  Last year Fabian, Beavers and Wagner all got promoted.  Fabian played 10 games with Aberdeen, more than any of these three will get.  It any event, it’s just an appetite-whetter for 2024, when they’ll all start at Aberdeen.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not really.  There’s one week left in Aberdeen’s season.  Last year Fabian, Beavers and Wagner all got promoted.  Fabian played 10 games with Aberdeen, more than any of these three will get.  It any event, it’s just an appetite-whetter for 2024, when they’ll all start at Aberdeen.  

Those were aggressive moves last year.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Those were aggressive moves last year.

Several first round picks this year are already in the upper minors or have been in high A for a while. There is nothing aggressive about promoting college bats that were in high end programs to a level where they are playing against players more their age.

This should have happened a month ago.

Frobby likes to come up with the excuse that the Os like to have their guys at all levels so that the fans can see them. He played 5 games in Delmarva for all the time he was there.

That’s not a reason to leave him down.

Either way, this is far from aggressive  and it’s certainly not “very aggressive”.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Several first round picks this year are already in the upper minors or have been in high A for a while. There is nothing aggressive about promoting college bats that were in high end programs to a level where they are playing against players more their age.

This should have happened a month ago.

Frobby likes to come up with the excuse that the Os like to have their guys at all levels so that the fans can see them. He played 5 games in Delmarva for all the time he was there.

That’s not a reason to leave him down.

Either way, this is far from aggressive  and it’s certainly not “very aggressive”.

It would be time consuming to see how all teams handle things for all college bats.  I took a look at 8 college bats drafted 11-28 as rough peers of Bradfield.  One of those, no. 11 Nolan Schanuel, is in the majors.  No. 13 Matt Shaw is in AA. No. 12 Tommy Troy, No. 14 Kyle Teel, and no. 18 Brock Wilson, have been in A+ for a while.  Another three, no. 15 Jacob Gonzalez, no. 19 Brayden Taylor and no. 28 Brice Matthews, are in low A.  So, there’s no one size fits all approach.   I certainly think Bradfield could have been moved up sooner, based on the silly OBP he was posting at Delmarva.

But those guys were first round picks.  It’s probably fair to say the promotions of Horvath (2nd round, 53rd overall) and Etzel (10th round) were fairly aggressive. I haven’t looked to see how many guys at those levels make it above A ball in their first year.  

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I hope they can revamp Bradfield’s swing a bit.  I don’t know that his current lack of power can actually play in the big leagues.  Honestly, Etzel’s numbers are more promising and he has stolen only 2 less bases 

I think you are very wrong with this judgement.   Bradfield has way more speed than Etzel and his floor is way higher.  Bradfield looks like he has better than Mateo speed and will walk.   He will make the big leagues on speed, defense and walking alone.

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think you are very wrong with this judgement.   Bradfield has way more speed than Etzel and his floor is way higher.  Bradfield looks like he has better than Mateo speed and will walk.   He will make the big leagues on speed, defense and walking alone.

How much will he walk if pitchers don’t need to worry about an XBH?  That’s the question. Major league pitchers don’t hand out many free passes to hitters who can’t hurt them.  So, we’ll just have to see how it goes as Bradfield climbs the ladder.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

How much will he walk if pitchers don’t need to worry about an XBH?  That’s the question. Major league pitchers don’t hand out many free passes to hitters who can’t hurt them.  So, we’ll just have to see how it goes as Bradfield climbs the ladder.  

Yes we will all have to see how he develops.  I have seen enough of Elias and his draft picks to think our highest picks are going to succeed.  I think we scout and develop at an elite level.   I would bet Bradfield makes the majors in two years.   I bet he gets a spring training invite.  Might start the year in Bowie but Aberdeen is maybe more likely.  

I bet they can get him to hit 8-10 homers in the majors after a couple years.  I think he is going to be a guy who gets 50-60 steals.

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2023 at 6:03 AM, wildcard said:

Bradfield, Horvath and Etzel is being promoted to Aberdeen. Very aggressive move by Elias.

It's the last week of the season for Aberdeen and he likes to give his college guys a taste of the next level. He did this last year with Beavers, Fabian and Wagner. I'm only slightly surprised he didn't give them two weeks. 

I'm a little surprised that they weren't moved up last week, but I don't think 1 week vs 2 makes a difference. At that point you're complaining just to complain. Bradfield is a good prospect, but he's not a prospect at the same level as Cowser (or even Shaw). He played in a high level conference in college, but he's not necessarily a polished bat. He'll have to make adjustments to continue to succeed.