Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So here's what I found out:

Yes, this is 100% true including the statement that got him suspended.
Lots of folks are not happy over this.
KB was starting to pick up more and more national assignments
No one seems to know the length of the suspension or when Angelos will lift it so basically it is indefinite

My take:

Pretty ridiculous, but not out of the norm for an Angelos. I'm a bit surprised that Ben McDonald seemed to be covering for the organization on twitter when he said this had to do with scheduling, nothing else. I wonder if Brown starting to get national gigs was rubbing Angelos wrong and this was just something he could "put a shot over the bow". I have to imagine that a young, good announcer like Brown will be wanted this offseason so regardless of whether he comes back this year or not, have to think the Angelos' just ran another real good announcer out the door. 

This has been known by a lot of people since he Tampa series, and is just getting out now. Angelos will either double down now that it's out, or he'll put Brown back on the air under a gag order to not discuss anything. 

All I know is this probably means more Melanie Newman in the booth and that's not a good thing for Orioles fans. Even in a great year like this, never doubt an Angelos to stick himself into the fray. With the Orioles winning, Angelos has started to climb out of his hole since it's cool to be an Orioles fan once again. 

Even though I don't want to think about the future here past this season, these kinds of acts do make me fearful that Elias at some point will get another opportunity and bolt, especially if the Orioles win a World Series. Who would want to work for an owner that does stuff like this? 

Just wow.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

This is the issue for me. He was fine when he kept out of the spotlight, let the rebuild proceed uninterrupted. I was even defending him for resource allocation last off-season if they didn't necessarily value the market that strongly. It seemed like (or I'd hoped) he'd learned from his Dad's issues to just let the product on the field represent you, and that by delegating entirely to Elias, he'd be a potentially decent passive Owner. Then there were rumors that he'd be selling as soon as his Dad passed; no reason to get worked up if he had a bad media exchange here or that as long as the team was improving and he'd be gone soon enough.

However, since they started winning, everything is unfortunately changing. It feels like he (almost desperately) needs the recognition for the state of the franchise more and more. He wants to assert himself into these media sessions, or the political scene with Moore, or this notion of revitalizing Baltimore by holding out for more money on the lease agreement. Little ego-driven dust-ups with young up and coming talent on the team just feels like the next step. He says he has no intention of selling now that they're winning. I just fear it's all going to his head and he's already acting out because of it. I really hope I'm wrong.

They make it so hard to stay a fan of this team. Why couldn't I have been born in St. Louis? 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Margaret Valentine is the best country singer on the planet.

(the rest of you guys better start sucking up to JA or he'll come after you too)

Well since they pulled my credentials and no longer advertise with us, they lost their leverage on me. then again, I've always said what I wanted but only didn't say certain things to protect sources.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No one seems to know the length of the suspension or when Angelos will lift it so basically it is indefinite

My take:

Pretty ridiculous, but not out of the norm for an Angelos. I'm a bit surprised that Ben McDonald seemed to be covering for the organization on twitter when he said this had to do with scheduling, nothing else. I wonder if Brown starting to get national gigs was rubbing Angelos wrong and this was just something he could "put a shot over the bow". I have to imagine that a young, good announcer like Brown will be wanted this offseason so regardless of whether he comes back this year or not, have to think the Angelos' just ran another real good announcer out the door. 

This has been known by a lot of people since he Tampa series, and is just getting out now. Angelos will either double down now that it's out, or he'll put Brown back on the air under a gag order to not discuss anything. 

All I know is this probably means more Melanie Newman in the booth and that's not a good thing for Orioles fans. Even in a great year like this, never doubt an Angelos to stick himself into the fray. With the Orioles winning, Angelos has started to climb out of his hole since it's cool to be an Orioles fan once again. 

Even though I don't want to think about the future here past this season, these kinds of acts do make me fearful that Elias at some point will get another opportunity and bolt, especially if the Orioles win a World Series. Who would want to work for an owner that does stuff like this? 

The organization will find a way to tarnish a magical season. Unbelievable. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My take:

Are there any billionaires that aren't complete control freaks that want to buy a baseball team?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is good info.  I still don't think we're getting the whole story here, though, I don't think that statement was enough to get him suspended indefinitely.  But picking up more national assignments sounds like something that's frowned upon.

• Upvote 1