Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

41 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

The on-air talent ostensibly works for the team. If team management thinks it necessary for them to wear team gear during broadcasts, then it must serve a purpose. They're representing the company and in all honesty advertising memorabilia for fans to purchase. It's relevant and makes sense to have them do this. It's not like they're making them do something stupid. Would I care if they didn't wear O's gear? No. I'm also not going to get upset because they're bosses want them to.

I'm sure someone in management thinks it serves a purpose, but I'm deeply skeptical that it actually does. I would love to see the research they have that supports that seeing the tv crew wearing O's gear for the few minutes they're actually on camera each night drives any sales. This reeks of some marketing hack's great idea, that he supported by pulling an imaginary projected sales boost (or ratings boost, or whatever) out of his nether regions, and some exec with an inclination to micro-manage picked it up and ran with it. It's a story I've seen play out plenty of times in my career. I'm not upset about it, it just makes my eyes want to roll right out of my head.

Nobody outdoes the Red Sox in trying to push merch (except maybe the Yankees). I end up having to watch a lot of Sox broadcasts when they play the O's, and their guys never wear team gear, even though NESN is also owned by the team. Of course, they also aren't banned from talking about departed players or getting suspended for daring to mention the team's record in other stadiums.

4 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm sure someone in management thinks it serves a purpose, but I'm deeply skeptical that it actually does. I would love to see the research they have that supports that seeing the tv crew wearing O's gear for the few minutes they're actually on camera each night drives any sales. This reeks of some marketing hack's great idea, that he supported by pulling an imaginary projected sales boost (or ratings boost, or whatever) out of his nether regions, and some exec with an inclination to micro-manage picked it up and ran with it. It's a story I've seen play out plenty of times in my career. I'm not upset about it, it just makes my eyes want to roll right out of my head.

Nobody outdoes the Red Sox in trying to push merch (except maybe the Yankees). I end up having to watch a lot of Sox broadcasts when they play the O's, and their guys never wear team gear, even though NESN is also owned by the team. Of course, they also aren't banned from talking about departed players or getting suspended for daring to mention the team's record in other stadiums.

My father has already bought all the different Orioles polos because he saw them wear them. Believe me, it does matter even a small percentage across all items adds up quick.

18 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

"Sign the Lease!" should be an even bigger, more important chant.

Exactly… fans should turn up the heat.. JA thinks national media is roasting him here, wait till the narrative begins to focus on Angelos as he continues to obfuscate and obstruct and ultimately not signing the lease ..because he surreptitiously plans to move the team to Nashville 

6 minutes ago, deward said:

Even if it doesn't have any discernable effect on merch sales, why the uproar over it?  They're being told to wear team merchandise on the air, not a dominatrix outfit. I can't imagine any of them have any issue with it. Hot suit or cool Orioles team polo? Gee let me think about that...

3 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I think the bigger question here is whether or not Brown will walk after this year. Angelos seems petty as hell so if I'm Brown I'm sure I'll be getting better offers to work in better conditions.

It would be hard for me to stay if I was Brown. His youth should help him get another job. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It would be hard for me to stay if I was Brown. His youth should help him get another job. 

He should have zero incentive to stay. He’s been treated like dog poop, has talent as a broadcaster, and is probably underpaid. Should be an easy decision for him to go somewhere else. 

I just read an article over at SI.com that sums it up really well. Basically at this point Brown can't even be himself. He can't talk about what Angelos did. He probably has been given a script of what to say if he's asked publicly about what happened. Basically he's neutered now.

They also pointed out that Brown is usually very active on social media but hasn't posted anything since July 25th or so.

All this because Brown read a factual stat that said we used to stink against the Rays. Ownership should be ashamed.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Big Ben is back for the SD series. 

Did you see official confirmation of that? And if that's the case, then which analyst will join Kevin in the booth this weekend in Seattle? I doubt Dave Johnson will be flying to the west coast, but of course stranger things have happened.

54 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I think the bigger question here is whether or not Brown will walk after this year. Angelos seems petty as hell so if I'm Brown I'm sure I'll be getting better offers to work in better conditions.

I don't think it's a question. Unless Angelos shockingly sells the team in the next two months, he will be leaving. At the end of the day the real loser in all of this is us fans 

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

Did you see official confirmation of that? And if that's the case, then which analyst will join Kevin in the booth this weekend in Seattle? I doubt Dave Johnson will be flying to the west coast, but of course stranger things have happened.

Yes, Big Ben said it on his Twitter account.

Someone basically asked if he had been suspended and he said no, scheduled time off and “I will see you in SD”.

Edited by Sports Guy