Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

16 minutes ago, baltfan said:

There is no evidence Frazier would have signed for $2-$3mm or that they could have gotten his equivalent for that price.

I think it will be interesting to see what some team pays Frazier next year.  He met or exceeded expectations offensively, in my opinion.  He was disappointing defensively, though just how disappointing depends on which metrics you prefer.   

I’m relatively confident that some team will pay him signingicshtly more than the $2-3 mm @Sports Guysuggests he should have been worth last year, but he might get a good bit short of $8 mm.   In any event, we’ll see.   I’m happy with what Frazier has contributed to this team, and whether he was worth $8 mm is irrelevant to me, because I have no reason to think any money we could have saved by bargaining harder would have been spent elsewhere.   

• Upvote 3

I think the Orioles didn’t realize Frazier had no range at 2B until they saw it for themselves.  The difference between Westburg and Frazier at 2B is huge.   Frazier has been a pleasant surprise offensively but a huge disappointment defensively.    With Holliday at Norfolk to start next year, that LH hitting IF will just be a call away.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think the Orioles didn’t realize Frazier had no range at 2B until they saw it for themselves.  The difference between Westburg and Frazier at 2B is huge.   Frazier has been a pleasant surprise offensively but a huge disappointment defensively.    With Holliday at Norfolk to start next year, that LH hitting IF will just be a call away.

Hard to call a guy with a .720 OPS (career .727) a pleasant surprise offensively.  The team certainly expected that, considering they gave him 8 million.  

Wesburg (if healthy) should be playing 2B nearly every day for the rest of the season and the playoffs with Frazier coming off the bench as needed. 

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Hard to call a guy with a .720 OPS (career .727) a pleasant surprise offensively.  The team certainly expected that, considering they gave him 8 million.  

Wesburg (if healthy) should be playing 2B nearly every day for the rest of the season and the playoffs with Frazier coming off the bench as needed. 

His power has been a surprise..his OBP has sucked.

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'd be shocked if Frazier was here next year.

Mateo will be though imo.

Right now, Mateo is on my team to start the year, which is a recent change for me but as I have been thinking about things, I think it makes sense at first. I don’t think Holliday starts the year here, so I think it makes sense to have Mateo and Urias here.

The caveat to that is that I think one of Ortiz or Westburg is traded. If neither is dealt, Mateo should go.

Mateo expanding himself into a serviceable OFer could help his chances too.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

If you can’t sign Frazier for 2-3M, so be it. I’m sure you can find another 0 WAR player for that money.

I don’t want him back, but not because I think he’s not a solid player.  And I do think he’s worth more than $2-3 mm.  We’ll see what the market thinks.  

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

He has a .930 OPS with runners on base. I’d call that a pleasant surprise. Shouldn’t have been too much of a surprise if you look at his career numbers though. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

With Holliday at Norfolk to start next year, that LH hitting IF will just be a call away.

Agreed.  I doubt we prioritize a LHH IFer.  Finding the market value of the RHH IF options is the more interesting question this offseason.  

Similar story for the LHH in the OF too.  Lots of depth to work with and decide from.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Agreed.  I doubt we prioritize a LHH IFer.  Finding the market value of the RHH IF options is the more interesting question this offseason.  

Similar story for the LHH in the OF too.  Lots of depth to work with and decide from.

I think there’s a good chance the 2024 OD roster is very much like the current roster with a lot of options and flexibility down in Norfolk.   I wouldn’t be surprised to see the current outfield return along with O’Hearn and Hicks with Cowser and Kjerstad both starting at Norfolk.