One key to Orioles success

brucewayne

3 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The interesting thing about the O's, really the unique thing is, our won/lost record has absolutely destroyed statistical analysis.  The stats say we'd be decent but we're the league's best.  

Our best stat is winning 1 run games.  So how do we win those games.  There is no stat to support that.  

Sigh.

This year's team is 8 over their Pythag.  The 2012 team finished 11 over their pythag.

The 2016 Rangers finished 13 over their Pythag.  The 2021 Mariners finished 14 games over.

There is no destruction of statistical analysis.

Those Rangers I mentioned above...they were 36-11 in one run games.

I do not get this idea that somehow folks feel this need to discredit math. 

No one on the "analytics side" is proclaiming infallibility.

It's information, it's a tool.

The team is really struggling to score runs right now.  I like the depth of our lineup most nights (- Mateo).  Every time the team begins to struggle with scoring it just appears like the inconsistencies in the middle of the lineup catches up the them.  

Santander is not hitting right now.  Before that Mountcastle was the hole in the middle of the lineup prior to him going out with his illness.  O'Hearn had been pretty solid throughout but now he has really cooled off.  Gunner seems to have good AB's but he is still not a proven run producer you can count on yet. I know it is normal for players to have ups and downs but when you have your middle of the order hitters so streaky you risk going through these times where scoring appears difficult.

I still would like them to bring up Ortiz to play SS, move Gunner to 3rd and let Westburg get reps at 2nd with Urius and Frazier filling in on occasion.  

My lineup: 1) Mullins, 2)Westburg, 3)Henderson, 4)Rutschman, 5)O'Hearn, 6)Santander, 7)Mountcastle, 8)Hays, 9)Ortiz

Westburg is having great AB's right now, could care less what the results say so move him up as he has more speed than I thought.  Henderson and Rutschman work the pitchers harder than anyone in the lineup so I like them back to back.  After that you have 3 power threats then Hays and Ortiz which would be as good of a bottom of a lineup that you would find.  

27 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The interesting thing about the O's, really the unique thing is, our won/lost record has absolutely destroyed statistical analysis.  The stats say we'd be decent but we're the league's best.  

Our best stat is winning 1 run games.  So how do we win those games.  There is no stat to support that.  

GWRBI. The most important stat out there. Ask Keith Hernandez.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't get it, they are trying to say that by "being a baseball watcher" they are better than those of us that watch baseball and try to learn more about it.

The stats say that Frazier is meh, but actually Frazier is a top level player. He has the clutch gene. He is the leader of the team. Stats cannot measure what is inside. Guys like Frazier have the heart of a lion. It's called a brand of winning baseball. You can't measure these things. You can only understand it by watching the games. Rutschman has this too. He is a winner. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sigh.

This year's team is 8 over their Pythag.  The 2012 team finished 11 over their pythag.

The 2016 Rangers finished 13 over their Pythag.  The 2021 Mariners finished 14 games over.

There is no destruction of statistical analysis.

Those Rangers I mentioned above...they were 36-11 in one run games.

I do not get this idea that somehow folks feel this need to discredit math. 

No one on the "analytics side" is proclaiming infallibility.

It's information, it's a tool.

Yawn!

You didn't even begin to refute what I said.  This isn't about math.  It's about failed statistical models.  Show my any stat that justifies our record, any.