Vin Scully is God

RShack

I gotta disagree.

Vin Scully is EXCELLENT. But, Chuck Thompson at least "compares" to him.

And I actually think Jon Miller is BETTER.

I grew up listening to the great team of Thompson/O'Donnell.

My opinion is that Jon Miller is the best of them all. No one "entertains" like Miller. No one can keep you interested in listening to a 15-2 drubbing like Jon can with his funny stories, interesting stats, etc......

I too think that Jon Miller is excellent and losing him was one of the several tradgedies of the last decade of Oriole baseball. Whether his is better or not is a question never to be decided IMO.

I listened to Chuck Thompson do both Oriole and Senators games growing up and his voice will always remind me of summers as a kid.

Vin Scully is a window back to a world when the word gentleman meant something and the ability to find something good to say and think about everyone was considered a desireable character trait.

I have never been a Dodger fan, but have had the privledge to be able to regularly listen to Vin for over two decades now and have done so enthusiastically because he is truly special.

He now only does the first three innings of games and it's clear that he's winding his career down, although you don't notice when he's in the middle of calling a game. I listen to him on the radio which is where he truly shines.

I would recommend anyone, especially fans under the age of 35 or so to try to listen to Vin call a few games before he retires. He makes the game three times richer than it actually is and he does so effortlessly. He will be missed when the sad day comes for him to say goodbye.

• 4 years later...

5 year Bump! Living where I live, I have both MLB.TV and MLB EI. Yeah, I live alone and have no kids and work too much. I have way too much access to baseball games. Anyway, every night, when I can't sleep, I turn my TV onto the Dodgers game and the Dodgers feed.

Just wow. I'm not sure if I can explain it. He is the last of a type. He grew up in the business painting a picture. No one paints a picture anymore. I know I can't actually put into writing his ability. I would do it an injustice. He was sick early this year. I make it a point to listen to him when I can. There will never be another like him or Chuck. Never again will the world be graced by men with this talent.

To those that don't pay attention or know, you should seek the opportunity to listen to him. But then again, he will change the way you listen to others the rest of your life. You'll be aware that your are listening to less of what you know once existed.

5 year Bump! Living where I live, I have both MLB.TV and MLB EI. Yeah, I live alone and have no kids and work too much. I have way too much access to baseball games. Anyway, every night, when I can't sleep, I turn my TV onto the Dodgers game and the Dodgers feed.

Just wow. I'm not sure if I can explain it. He is the last of a type. He grew up in the business painting a picture. No one paints a picture anymore. I know I can't actually put into writing his ability. I would do it an injustice. He was sick early this year. I make it a point to listen to him when I can. There will never be another like him or Chuck. Never again will the world be graced by men with this talent.

To those that don't pay attention or know, you should seek the opportunity to listen to him. But then again, he will change the way you listen to others the rest of your life. You'll be aware that your are listening to less of what you know once existed.

I like Jon Miller but tire of Scully's tiresome meanderings. I get why people do like him, however. Just me.....and I remember listening to him when he was in NY doing the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I like Jon Miller but tire of Scully's tiresome meanderings. I get why people do like him, however. Just me.....and I remember listening to him when he was in NY doing the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Now, I don't feel so bad. I'm not the only one. I refer to him as "bore me out of my skully". I've lived mostly in CA since 1978 and just never quite acquired a taste for him I guess.

Now, I don't feel so bad. I'm not the only one. I refer to him as "bore me out of my skully". I've lived mostly in CA since 1978 and just never quite acquired a taste for him I guess.

Everyone has their own favorites and it's a personal thing. Just like some don't like Mr. Scully, I'm sure there are some somewhere that enjoy Hawk Harrelson. :P :wedge:

Everyone has their own favorites and it's a personal thing. Just like some don't like Mr. Scully, I'm sure there are some somewhere that enjoy Hawk Harrelson. :P :wedge:

Only Hawk Harrelson enjoys Hawk Harrelson.

Hearing Vin Scully call a game is a bit magical. Always has been.

I have colormen and announcers that I have loved over the years but nobody compares to Scully.

This is where I'm at.

I'm not a Dodger fan, but Vin is in a class of his own.

• 1 month later...

Archived