Kjerstad possibly promoted?

OriolesMagic83

11 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Ryan Mountcastle = Right handed

Heston Kjerstad = Right handed + Outfielder + needs to replace a player on the 40 man roster + not likely eligible for playoff roster

I'd say the odds are stacked against a call up. I didn't even mention the fact it's the biggest series of the entire season beginning, and that rookies usually take a while to adjust.

Probably more likely it Stowers or Cowser

Edited by Roll Tide

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Jordan Westburg has never played 1B. Why would they decide to try that during the last few weeks of the season?

Even if Westburg doesn't have the experience, he may have a better skill set to play the position. If Mountcastle is out we may see this out of necessity more than anything else. Remember Steve Pearce. 

57 minutes ago, EricK said:

Maybe they just want to preserve Cowser's rookie status for next year.

This makes the most sense and he likely will not play much. It is exciting to see very little dead wood position players on the 40 man. Should be even less after this offseason. I looking forward to being able to say the same about the pitchers eventually. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This.   I’d be shocked if we saw Kjerstad in the Tampa series.  

I am a little surprised that he is the call up (assuming he is). He is a LHH and doesn't have a lot of position flexibility. Seems Ortiz would be a more logical choice. Is he close to losing rookie status too?

I think the thought process from Elias bringing up Kjerstad is two part.

1. He saves Cowsers rookie status

2. Kjerstad gets a taste of the MLB clubhouse, Elias has mentioned before giving guys a taste at the end of the year so they know how to prepare during the break to play at that level next year.

I don't think Kjerstad will get much playing time but I hope they give him a start this weekend and see if maybe they can get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle.  Rookie or not if Kjerstad started his pro career on a heater that would be huge for us right now.

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

2. Kjerstad gets a taste of the MLB clubhouse, Elias has mentioned before giving guys a taste at the end of the year so they know how to prepare during the break to play at that level next year.

I don't think Kjerstad will get much playing time but I hope they give him a start this weekend and see if maybe they can get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle.  Rookie or not if Kjerstad started his pro career on a heater that would be huge for us right now.

Honestly, what's the point in saving Cowser's rookie status?

The performance bar for winning RoY has become very high and does a player like Cowser have a realistic chance in this day and age?

As for #2, how does that scan with him not promoting Adley and Mountcastle when they were finishing the year at AAA?

Edited by Can_of_corn

9 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

No chance he cares about Cowser’s status enough to call up someone who he believes is inferior for the most important games of the years

• Thanks 1